Military Souse!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2Succeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I'm curious to know the plans of my fellow pre-med military spouses? We all know the military is so unpredictable, with that being said, what are some of the situations, good and/or bad you all have countered during your journey to become a physician ? I'm planning on taking my mcat next year and we will have about a year left at our current duty station. Ideally we will start at our new station the year I'm ready to start med school and we would get extended for an additional year while I finish up...

Any current military spouse med students?!!?

Members don't see this ad.

I am :) DH is Active USAF. Although I am just beginning this journey, we've been trying to plan (to the best of our ability) how this is all going to work. Luckily, my DH just got a new position on base that comes with a 4 year controlled tour, which will give me plenty of time to work and finish the post-bacc before applying to med school. As we know, anytime you have the ability to know where you're going to be for any length of time is a bonus. After those 4 years we'll be up for a PCS and hopefully (fingers crossed) we can try and make it work with the medical I can hope to attend.

Thanks for making this thread! Any other pre-med spouses around?

Hello everyone! Fellow military spouse here! I can't begin to describe how excited I was to come across this thread! I don't feel so alone in my journey!

I'm only at the beginning stages of my medical path. A little background: I'm 30, married to my active duty AF husband for 10 years and we have 3 kids. I am 7 classes away from graduating with my BS in Health Services Management from East Carolina University. I had to switch to the distance program as my husband got orders to Germany, and we've been here over a year now!

I still have about 1/2 of my prereq's to go until I can apply, which is unfortunately on hold until we PCS back to the states. I pray that we get somewhere close to good schools!!! I am trying to enjoy our time here in Europe, but I can't help but feel frustrated at the halt in my medical path. Would it be crazy to leave Germany a year early, go back home and finish my prereq's? I'm dying to finish!

Again, I'm so happy to have "met" you two! I hope we can all be a support system for one another throughout our journeys!

Christy

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Christy! I can understand the itch to get back into it, but I'd totally be enjoying Germany while you have the chance. That's one of the catches for us, we'd LOVE for the next base to be OCONUS but if I'm trying for med school, we'll try more for state side. I'm just starting VCUs post-bacc in health sciences cert program, the undergrad not the grad program. Gotta do all of the prereqs and I start this fall! Going to be a real challenge since we have a soon to be 4 yo and DH has a 6 week TDY coming up. But going to make it work since that's what we mil-spouses do :)

Would love to keep in touch!

Danielle

I am also a military spouse and we will be going to a new station so I am hoping to get the extra classes I need completed soon.

Hey, fellow milspouses! Army wife here. Started my prereqs two years ago, while stationed in Germany. :) We're moving back CONUS, so I'll finish my B.S. in biology there (already have a B.A.). DH has been super-supportive, and my plans for med school work well with his plans to go in the reserves. He's active duty right now.

It's nice to "meet" you all! I think military spouses bring a lot to the table as potential med students!

Hello everyone! Fellow military spouse here! I can't begin to describe how excited I was to come across this thread! I don't feel so alone in my journey!

I'm only at the beginning stages of my medical path. A little background: I'm 30, married to my active duty AF husband for 10 years and we have 3 kids. I am 7 classes away from graduating with my BS in Health Services Management from East Carolina University. I had to switch to the distance program as my husband got orders to Germany, and we've been here over a year now!

I still have about 1/2 of my prereq's to go until I can apply, which is unfortunately on hold until we PCS back to the states. I pray that we get somewhere close to good schools!!! I am trying to enjoy our time here in Europe, but I can't help but feel frustrated at the halt in my medical path. Would it be crazy to leave Germany a year early, go back home and finish my prereq's? I'm dying to finish!

Again, I'm so happy to have "met" you two! I hope we can all be a support system for one another throughout our journeys!

Christy

Definitely not crazy! I have been in a similar situation- I moved ahead of my husband this summer so I could go through this application cycle. Although, we do not have kids so I am sure you will have to factor that differently than I did.

You deserve to pursue med school and it speaks volumes of your relationship that you support each other. When you come out of the other side, your relationship will be stronger than ever! Good luck!