Program-Specific Info / Q's Milligan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agingold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed or talked to admissions at Milligan? Thoughts and opinions?

From what I've researched they focus a lot of peds and disability work (which I love) and it seems like a close-knit, tight community there. I've heard good things about professors as well but would love some additional information from someone whose been in contact with them.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very interested, as well! I certainly plan on applying. I've heard great things and I hope to specialize in PEDs.

Any one you guys hear anything from Milligan yet? I see their deadline isn't until January but was wondering if it would be advantageous to apply before then?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be submitting my application this weekend (after taking forever and a day to finally nail down my personal statement). I think the advantage in applying soon is that you won't have to stress about exactly when your application is verified by OTCAS. Last year, it took over three weeks for me to get my verification status.

There is the potential that they could begin to review early, but considering the timing in conjunction with the holiday season, I doubt it.

Nice. Did you include anything about your religion in your personal statement? You know, since it's a Christian school? I didn't include anything about religion as I was trying to keep it short and to the point. Kind of regretting it now.

I will be submitting my application this weekend (after taking forever and a day to finally nail down my personal statement). I think the advantage in applying soon is that you won't have to stress about exactly when your application is verified by OTCAS. Last year, it took over three weeks for me to get my verification status.

There is the potential that they could begin to review early, but considering the timing in conjunction with the holiday season, I doubt it.

Nice. Did you include anything about your religion in your personal statement? You know, since it's a Christian school? I didn't include anything about religion as I was trying to keep it short and to the point. Kind of regretting it now.

Honestly, I really didn't. About the furthest I got into it was the use of the phrase "prayerfully considered". I wasn't sure how I would have worked it in without being over blunt. Like oh hey, just so you know I think Jesus is a cool cat hahaha.

I must say, I am really excited about Milligan and I think it would be my top choice. Are you from the area?

Honestly, I really didn't. About the furthest I got into it was the use of the phrase "prayerfully considered". I wasn't sure how I would have worked it in without being over blunt. Like oh hey, just so you know I think Jesus is a cool cat hahaha.

I must say, I am really excited about Milligan and I think it would be my top choice. Are you from the area?
Haha I gotcha. I'm not from the area. I'm going to plan a visit soon as it seems to be in a nice, small town. I am from SC

I am from PA. It would be about a nine hour drive, so I am hoping that I will just get invited to interview so I have a justification in visiting.

Where else are you applying? I just submitted to OTCAS last night, just waiting now to be verified.

I am from PA. It would be about a nine hour drive, so I am hoping that I will just get invited to interview so I have a justification in visiting.

Where else are you applying? I just submitted to OTCAS last night, just waiting now to be verified.
I've applied to nova Southeastern's otd and mot and was accepted to both. I'm going to apply to Milligan and MUSC. How about you?

Congratulations! That is awesome to know you already have acceptances!

This is my second year applying after not getting in last year. I applied to Salus, Thomas Jefferson, Murphy Deming, Milligan, Huntington, and Winston-Salem. I'm honestly willing to go wherever I get in, so I might add a few more schools if I don't get into these first ones. I have a few interviews and I thought they went so well, but then I was always waitlisted.

Things you should know about Milligan-
A huge chunk of their entering class is taken up my current Milligan students. The year I applied 12/30 seats were taken by current Milligan students.

Pros- cost of living there is super cheap. You can rent a house for like $400 a month. Best of luck to you all!

I kind of was thinking that was the case. That is unfortunate. I really love the philosophy and mission of the college. Honestly though, after being rejected last cycle I am willing to go just about anywhere. I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best! I was concerned though when I saw the average GPA was 3.8.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of was thinking that was the case. That is unfortunate. I really love the philosophy and mission of the college. Honestly though, after being rejected last cycle I am willing to go just about anywhere. I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best! I was concerned though when I saw the average GPA was 3.8.
I personally know someone that got in with a 3.18. For them, the interview is by far most important.

So you applied to Milligan last year? If you did, did you interview? If you did, how was the interview?

So you applied to Milligan last year? If you did, did you interview? If you did, how was the interview?

Oh no, I didn't apply to Milligan last year. But generally speaking I was rejected from the programs I applied to. I had interviews at Belmont, ECU, Chatham, and Murphy Deming. They went well, but I always ended up on the wait list and did not get a spot.

I just got an email today with an invitation to interview at Milligan on February 12th! Anyone else going to be there? Or anyone have advice for the interview?

I wonder if it's bad that I didn't get into the first interview :(

You guys will just have to make sure and let me know how it goes! :)

I haven't heard anything from Milligan. Should I be worried? Did everyone get an email Tuesday?

I wonder if it's bad that I didn't get into the first interview :(

You guys will just have to make sure and let me know how it goes! :)
No, it's not bad you didn't get into the first interview! We felt like they split up half and half for each interview date - half definitely considering and the latter were just "maybe's". That way, they're not enduring an entire day of candidates they wouldn't even consider. The day is based on a point based system too. Honestly, I had a blast at Milligan's interview. If you are dedicated to OT and have the hours to show it... you'll be fine :) Ultimately, I love this program - hope to see you there!!

Do you know if you receive a rejection email if you don't get an interview? Since you got it Wednesday and others got it Tuesday I'm not too worried...
You still might get a waiting list email - which is great too! Not everyone will accept an interview invitation, so hold out.

Also, these days it's not uncommon to see folks having to go through 2 years of applying to get an interview just because of the sheer number of applicants. A lot of us felt like we were put on a sort of... "waiting list" for the next year's cohort.

You still might get a waiting list email - which is great too! Not everyone will accept an interview invitation, so hold out.

Also, these days it's not uncommon to see folks having to go through 2 years of applying to get an interview just because of the sheer number of applicants. A lot of us felt like we were put on a sort of... "waiting list" for the next year's cohort.

Thanks for the reply! I've already been accepted at other schools so I'm not sure how I didn't get an interview (I'm not trying to brag at all- I just really couldn't see what was wrong with my application) I even emailed someone from admissions and they told me I couldn't improve on anything and I was good to go. Milligan is my first choice so I'm pretty scared :(

No, it's not bad you didn't get into the first interview! We felt like they split up half and half for each interview date - half definitely considering and the latter were just "maybe's". That way, they're not enduring an entire day of candidates they wouldn't even consider. The day is based on a point based system too. Honestly, I had a blast at Milligan's interview. If you are dedicated to OT and have the hours to show it... you'll be fine :) Ultimately, I love this program - hope to see you there!!
Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better! It actually is a blessing I got the second date as I would not have gotten off from work for the first date.

Crazy enough, I have the Milligan interview on the 12th and have an interview on the 15th in Indiana! I am coming from Pennsylvania, so I decided to turn it into one big trip. It's going to be a long 5 days, but so exciting!

This is my second year applying, and I really feel committed to this profession. If anything, this "gap year" just showed me how bad I want it. I'm counting down the days to my interview! I was surprised it is an 8-hour event, but I'm glad to know I'll really get a good feel for the program and the school. When you say "hours", did you mean shadowing or something else? I only have about 80 observation hours.

I'm glad to know you love the program! And it would be awesome to meet you and actually put a face with a screen name :) My name is Laura and I will probably be the only one from Pennsylvania!

Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better! It actually is a blessing I got the second date as I would not have gotten off from work for the first date.

Crazy enough, I have the Milligan interview on the 12th and have an interview on the 15th in Indiana! I am coming from Pennsylvania, so I decided to turn it into one big trip. It's going to be a long 5 days, but so exciting!

This is my second year applying, and I really feel committed to this profession. If anything, this "gap year" just showed me how bad I want it. I'm counting down the days to my interview! I was surprised it is an 8-hour event, but I'm glad to know I'll really get a good feel for the program and the school. When you say "hours", did you mean shadowing or something else? I only have about 80 observation hours.

I'm glad to know you love the program! And it would be awesome to meet you and actually put a face with a screen name :) My name is Laura and I will probably be the only one from Pennsylvania!
Would you mind if I asked what your stats are? It might help me figure out what my application was lacking.

Would you mind if I asked what your stats are? It might help me figure out what my application was lacking.

I don't mind sharing at all!

Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.5
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (Depending on the school)
GRE: verbal = 156 quantitative = 151 writing = 4.0
OT shadowing: Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic - 16 hrs, Certified Hand Therapist - 60 hours, skilled Nursing Facility - 25 hours
Work experience: 480 hours as a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Assistant, 400 hours as a TSS, 800 hours as a Supervisor in a daycare.
Volunteer experience: Multiple service trips to Mississippi and South America (400 hrs), Mentor for at-risk-youth (80 hrs)
Extras: NCAA Student athlete (2 yr captain), President of Colleges Against Cancer, Student Ambassador (give tours to perspective students), conducted non-experimental research throughout coursework
References: OT, advisor, supervisor

My stats aren't amazing, but that's okay with me. I did the best I could. In the end, I definitely know that the other parts of me will round out my application.

I don't mind sharing at all!

Major: .Psychology.
GPA: .3.5.
Prereq GPA: .3.5-3.7 (Depending on the school).
GRE: .verbal = 156 quantitative = 151 writing = 4.0.
OT shadowing: .Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic - 16 hrs, Certified Hand Therapist - 60 hours, skilled Nursing Facility - 25 hours.
Work experience: .480 hours as a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Program Assistant, 400 hours as a TSS, 800 hours as a Supervisor in a daycare..
Volunteer experience: .Multiple service trips to Mississippi and South America (400 hrs), Mentor for at-risk-youth (80 hrs).
Extras: NCAA S.tudent athlete (2 yr captain), President of Colleges Against Cancer, Student Ambassador (give tours to perspective students), conducted non-experimental research throughout coursework.
References: .OT, advisor, supervisor

My stats aren't amazing, but that's okay with me. I did the best I could. In the end, I definitely know that the other parts of me will round out my application..

Thank you so much for this:) you definitely have an impressive application. I wish I had as much work experience as you do. Best of luck to you in your interview. I'm sure you will do great!

I still haven't heard a thing from Milligan :( when do you think would be an appropriate time to call the school to make sure they sent an email to the right address?

Thank you so much for this:) you definitely have an impressive application. I wish I had as much work experience as you do. Best of luck to you in your interview. I'm sure you will do great! ..................
Thank you! I tend to think I'm average, but this year off has boosted my work experience. I'm just praying I get in this year. It was so hard not getting in the first time around. And thank you so much! I'll take all the luck I can get! :)

I still haven't heard a thing from Milligan :( when do you think would be an appropriate time to call the school to make sure they sent an email to the right address?
Did you ever hear anything from Milligan??

I did! I called and my email was wrong in the system. I ended up having an interview last Friday.
Awesome! Well I am glad you got an interview. I have been following you guys on here, and I just sent her an email to make sure the same thing hasn't happened to me. How did you like the school and how was your interview?:)

Awesome! Well I am glad you got an interview. I have been following you guys on here, and I just sent her an email to make sure the same thing hasn't happened to me. How did you like the school and how was your interview?:)
I really liked the school! Especially how the students seem to be so close to each other. The interview was really fun! It wasn't stressful at all. Just be prepared to think outside the box!

I really liked the school! Especially how the students seem to be so close to each other. The interview was really fun! It wasn't stressful at all. Just be prepared to think outside the box!
Well im sure you did wonderful! Thanks for the information :)

Anyone else receive an email today? I was wait listed even though I felt the interview went well :(

I got an acceptance email today. I asked several people at my interview if they were on sdn. Nobody knew what I was talking about... Haha Were you in the first or second round of interviews?

I got an acceptance email today. I asked several people at my interview if they were on sdn. Nobody knew what I was talking about... Haha Were you in the first or second round of interviews?
I was in the first round!

Me too. I was one of the few guys there. Not sure if I met you or not. I was wearing a blue suite.

Me too. I was one of the few guys there. Not sure if I met you or not. I was wearing a blue suite.
I'm pretty sure I saw you! I was a girl in a black suit (that doesn't help much lol) from the area. I'm pretty bummed about being wait listed.

I'm dying waiting to find out if I got in or not. I was in the second round, so I'm sure it is gonna be another week or two.

I loved loved loved Milligan and I think the interview went really well. Fingers crossed for everyone waiting and congrats to those admitted!

Would it be okay if I asked what my position was on the wait list? I've never been wait listed and they didn't tell me my standing.

Would it be okay if I asked what my position was on the wait list? I've never been wait listed and they didn't tell me my standing.
Go for it. Also, I received the acceptance letter yesterday, and received a letter of denial today. Soooooooo I tried to call but no answer as it was late in the day. I'm hoping my name just wasn't take off the denial list. Guess I'll find out Monday.

Go for it. Also, I received the acceptance letter yesterday, and received a letter of denial today. Soooooooo I tried to call but no answer as it was late in the day. I'm hoping my name just wasn't take off the denial list. Guess I'll find out Monday.
College admissions have a mind of their own. I called Milligan and they do not give out wait list rankings. Ohhhhh well. Just curious, for those accepted is there a deposit to hold your spot?