Milmed opinion on LUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf123g

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does milmed in general, physician, residency directors, etc have an opinion on LUCOM. Over in the DO forum there appears to be quite a low opinion of LUCOM due to its parent university and founder (died a while ago). Many posters say openly they would discriminate against any LUCOM student regardless of their scores for attending this school. So if you are in the military and work medicine, work in milmed, know someone in the milmed, etc and have an opinion or can go get an opinion on this matter that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the military values people who are bright, hard working, and honest. I think if you went there, did well on grades and school, and didn't go around denying the existence of dinosaurs, you'd be fine. There's a lot of Mormons in the military and they don't face any discrimination...

Reactions: 1 user
^you'd think that's what people care about and that's all that would matter.... but over in the DO forums its nothing but hate

Members don't see this ad :)
^you'd think that's what people care about and that's all that would matter.... but over in the DO forums its nothing but hate

Does everyone hate on them b/c of their religious themes or what? I have no idea I'm curious. If that's the case just look at Loma Linda School of Medicine. Their graduates seem to be doing fine. Though you couldn't pay me to go to that school...

The "hate" is mostly due to the parent institution. However, many people see the institution as being detrimental to the DO profession as a whole. It's been talked to death over there.

What's you're end game on the mil med forum, friend?

The following quotes about sum up one of the threads in the pre DO forums:

"I'm of the opinion that LUCOM should be shut down by any means necessary to protect the reputation of the osteopathic profession."
"If I'm ever a PD, LUCOM apps will go straight into the trash. Limiting the success of the school's graduates would hopefully eventually lead to LUCOM's closure, as COCA requires 98% of graduates to obtain training positions. And before anyone asks, yes, I feel strongly enough about the issue to limit the opportunities of those who have funded the abomination that is Liberty. People are free to attend a school that stands as a fortress of ignorance, just as I am free to not associate with them professionally."
"Personally I'd rather have waited a year and reapplied than have that stain of a name on my diploma and CV forever."
". The concerns I've read about LUCOM are it's absurdly low entrance standards, the effects it's prominent religous mission might have on it's ability to teach properly, and its unproven ability to match students into residency."

@sonofva : i might go milmed. I wouldn't wanna be discriminated against should I go to LUCOM. I have the stats to get into a "high tier" DO schools however.

the posters make it seem as though there is a high chance of discrimination in the civilian medicine world in regards to LUCOM. I wanted to know what the military might be like. Would i not get a competitive residency simply becaue I went to LUCOM? in pre DO it sounds as such (regardless of ones scores)

The following quotes about sum up one of the threads in the pre DO forums:

"I'm of the opinion that LUCOM should be shut down by any means necessary to protect the reputation of the osteopathic profession."
"If I'm ever a PD, LUCOM apps will go straight into the trash. Limiting the success of the school's graduates would hopefully eventually lead to LUCOM's closure, as COCA requires 98% of graduates to obtain training positions. And before anyone asks, yes, I feel strongly enough about the issue to limit the opportunities of those who have funded the abomination that is Liberty. People are free to attend a school that stands as a fortress of ignorance, just as I am free to not associate with them professionally."
"Personally I'd rather have waited a year and reapplied than have that stain of a name on my diploma and CV forever."
". The concerns I've read about LUCOM are it's absurdly low entrance standards, the effects it's prominent religous mission might have on it's ability to teach properly, and its unproven ability to match students into residency."

Right. So why do I care? Are you LUCOM admin? Prospective student looking for advice? Because right now we're debating over why the do/pre-do forums hate LUCOM, which is not good fodder for this particular forum...

@sonofva : refer to post above your latest

Oh sorry guy I missed that. I think that if you are a normal guy/gal coming out of LUCOM, you'll be as competitive as any other do student in the military. Just go to whatever school you think you will succeed at and crush it. And don't be a religious fanatic. As an aside... Just know that as a do, some Milmed residencies will be off limits to you, as they will be if you applied civilian MD. Take the USMLE
if you plan on doing competitive residency. Be flexible about GMO time.

Mormons do not deny the existence of dinosaurs. Strange comparison. All religions are weird, get good scores and nobody will care. The .mil would happily let a DO from LUCOM be the chief of Neurosurgery if he/she would be their "yes" man/woman. That is all.

How will milres directors and the people accepting applicants think?
Im hope the vast majority of the military wont care, but their opinion isnt the one that matters when it comes to landing a good residency or the specialty of your choice.

Last edited:
Oh sorry guy I missed that. I think that if you are a normal guy/gal coming out of LUCOM, you'll be as competitive as any other do student in the military. Just go to whatever school you think you will succeed at and crush it. And don't be a religious fanatic. As an aside... Just know that as a do, some Milmed residencies will be off limits to you, as they will be if you applied civilian MD. Take the USMLE
if you plan on doing competitive residency. Be flexible about GMO time.

Which do you think those are? I know DO's in every competitive specialty in the Army, none of whom took the USMLE.

OP - I'd stay away from that school if you can get in somewhere else. Just my opinion.