mini med school lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlofmushypeas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey premeds! 4th year med student here with some break time coming up. One of your peers recently suggested that I put together a 10-15 "mini-med school" lecture series at her school on common health care diseases since undergrad courses don't usually go over what you're ACTUALLY going to get to treat and care about! This would NOT be like the mini med school lectures at certain places where you pay $1500 to shadow someone or hear about how to get into med school even though you can just read all of that for free on SDN. Instead, it'd superficially cover bread and butter topics like sepsis, stroke, asthma management, etc.

Before I jump into this project, I was hoping to get some more opinions on how useful this would be to premeds, how realistic it is that you guys would have the time since it would be a no-credit extracurricular activity, the likelihood of me getting financially compensated (only because loans suck!), and general ideas on curriculum topics or structure.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

So to clarify, you would be giving a lecture series on certain diseases at a college, to premeds?

Yes, I think people would attend if it were free and sponsored by a premed organization like AMSA. If individual students are asked to pay specifically to hear you speak, however, I don't think the turnout would be as good.

Sounds great. I would not attend because if it is not live, I'm not flying out. Also I have to worry more about actually getting into medical school, opposed to the lack of what I will learn when I get in.
I affirm you in your quest to help inform premeds though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds interesting to me... I'm watching that Stanford mini end series right now

So to clarify, you would be giving a lecture series on certain diseases at a college, to premeds?

Yes, I think people would attend if it were free and sponsored by a premed organization like AMSA. If individual students are asked to pay specifically to hear you speak, however, I don't think the turnout would be as good.

Exactly, also, I'd like to include lectures also on writing and presenting history and physicals, SOAP notes, basics of reading chest XRs, common tests we order. The med school I attend is affiliated with a HUGE undergrad population but I was thinking that smaller, 10 person groups would be ideal so there would be a more personal atmosphere.

Exactly, also, I'd like to include lectures also on writing and presenting history and physicals, SOAP notes, basics of reading chest XRs, common tests we order. The med school I attend is affiliated with a HUGE undergrad population but I was thinking that smaller, 10 person groups would be ideal so there would be a more personal atmosphere.

I'm all for teaching about specific diseases, a couple fun physical findings, etc, but I think teaching history and SOAP notes wouldn't be particularly useful without the background breadth of knowledge that is acquired during pre-clinicals. Knock yourself out though, pre-meds will definitely be interested. Knot tieing and suturing on banana peels is always a hit too.

I'm all for teaching about specific diseases, a couple fun physical findings, etc, but I think teaching history and SOAP notes wouldn't be particularly useful without the background breadth of knowledge that is acquired during pre-clinicals. Knock yourself out though, pre-meds will definitely be interested. Knot tieing and suturing on banana peels is always a hit too.

Physical exams might be a little too much, but I worked at a clinic taking patient histories and in retrospect, really wished someone had told me there was a system to it. I think going over some basics would help when they're shadowing as well.

If you could host this on a live stream, that would be cool.