Minimum direct hours to apply to internship sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seriouslyphd

Reaction score
I’m finding that direct hour minimums detailed on the APPIC website for a few internship sites I’m interest in deviate from the minimums detailed in handbooks or program websites (with APPIC minimums being being higher than numbers listed on websites or brochures). I don’t want to throw away my money, time, and energy applying to sites that won’t even look at my application materials. Would it be ok to email TDs and ask for clarification on minimum hours or flexibility around minimum hours? I’m going to be close to hitting 500 direct intervention hours and will have +100 assessment hours, but it’s likely I’ll be juuuust shy (maybe 20 hours or so) of 500 direct intervention hours by Nov 1. I do believe COVID played a major part in me not hitting that 500 hour threshold. Any advice on this front? Thanks so much for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m finding that direct hour minimums detailed on the APPIC website for a few internship sites I’m interest in deviate from the minimums detailed in handbooks or program websites (with APPIC minimums being being higher than numbers listed on websites or brochures). I don’t want to throw away my money, time, and energy applying to sites that won’t even look at my application materials. Would it be ok to email TDs and ask for clarification on minimum hours or flexibility around minimum hours? I’m going to be close to hitting 500 direct intervention hours and will have +100 assessment hours, but it’s likely I’ll be juuuust shy (maybe 20 hours or so) of 500 direct intervention hours by Nov 1. I do believe COVID played a major part in me not hitting that 500 hour threshold. Any advice on this front? Thanks so much for your input.
If you see a discrepancy, I think it's okay to ask for clarification. IMO, it'd good to pull out all the stops to hit 500--talk to your DCT about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a word of caution, I saw in a recent APPIC Match News update that hours will now be counted up to October 1, not November 1:

As previously announced in 2022, the AAPI practicum hours accrual end date has been moved one month earlier to October 1. For the upcoming application cycle, this means that applicants will be asked to calculate practicum hours accrued through October 1, 2023. Practicum hours accrued after October 1 must be included in the “Anticipated Practicum Hours” section.

You may want to keep this in mind when estimating hours to hit that 500 benchmark.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would defer to updated program handbooks since that should be done annually to account for new training year dates, new/discontinued rotations, new/departed faculty, updated stipend, etc.

TDs are much more likely to forget to make the corresponding updates in APPIC or even their own website.

If you have questions, feel free to email TDs. Also some programs will be late on updating their handbooks.

Reactions: 1 users
I second what summerbabe said in that I'd defer to what's in the most recent handbook/website, but there's also nothing wrong with emailing the TD for clarification (or to ask if you would still be considered if you were just under the threshold).

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said, just go with the handbooks. Those are updated yearly and are going to give you the most accurate information on everything, including required hours. That said, if you're close to the minimum hours, it's a good idea to email the TDs to see how flexible they are. Even pre-COVID many sites were flexible and would still evaluate your application holistically if you were relatively close to their minimum (e.g., your 20 hours shy), but there's still a point at which you might still be too far below to even have your application looked at. Also, TDs and admissions committees have been asked by APPIC to be flexible and understanding when it comes to the number and character of clinical hours and experiences when reviewing applications, but APPIC can't expressly force sites to do so, or at least that's what we were told in one of the APPIC newsletters last year.

Reactions: 1 user