Minor?

ReyesSMHS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a hs senior who is currently finishing out his last year. I am quite sure that I will be attending california state university Long Beach as a Biochemistry major. I am curious as to what exactly having a major does, and how beneficial it could prove. Some minors i would consider taking are: psychology, some kind of economics, public policy, or microbiology. To be honest I have noo strong preference as to which of these to take, as I feel they would be all very interesting. I am wondering if it would look bad if I majored in Biochem and minored in microbiology..I don't want it to seem as though I am being close-minded about science. Also I was wondering if it would appear in my favor to major in something like public policy which is on the other side of the spectrum. I know in the end I should take whatever I want to take, or whatever im passionate about but I am curious as to what some of you will you will say in regards to my questions. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a hs senior who is currently finishing out his last year. I am quite sure that I will be attending california state university Long Beach as a Biochemistry major. I am curious as to what exactly having a major does, and how beneficial it could prove. Some minors i would consider taking are: psychology, some kind of economics, public policy, or microbiology. To be honest I have noo strong preference as to which of these to take, as I feel they would be all very interesting. I am wondering if it would look bad if I majored in Biochem and minored in microbiology..I don't want it to seem as though I am being close-minded about science. Also I was wondering if it would appear in my favor to major in something like public policy which is on the other side of the spectrum. I know in the end I should take whatever I want to take, or whatever im passionate about but I am curious as to what some of you will you will say in regards to my questions. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help.

Do something you'll be able to get a job with if med school doesn't work out. Minors don't matter much.

People love to say "major in what you enjoy," and I'd agree, but I think you should also go for something that would let you do something useful with its four-year degree.

A BS in biochemistry looks cool, but there are lots of other degrees that do better as far as getting you gainful employment without graduate school, etc. I don't know if public policy is one of them, but that's something to consider.

Minor in whatever you want. It'll make little difference. Hell, lots of people don't even have a minor -- I didn't (though I was one class away).

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you aren't asking about your major, which you sound concrete on anyway.

Minors really aren't very important at all. But if you have the time and interest outside biochemistry, go for it. You already said it yourself, "in the end...whatever I'm passionate about", so you already have your answer, there really is no other logic appropriate for picking a minor (because of its lack of importance); the one exception is as exi stated, if you are already extremely close to getting a minor in something else, you could nail that extra class just because it would be convenient (I also was 1 class away, didn't bother with it though :rolleyes:)

Enjoy college.

I'll echo what others have said. Just pick your major based on what interests you. Its doubtful it will have any real impact on either grad school admissions or the job hunt. Generally you can't minor, or double major, in a field that is too closely related to your major, so that probably rules out the bio. (At least thats the policy at my school....I think.) you really don't need to pick your minor going into college. Take some classes, and figure out if indeed yo want to minor, and if you do what you want to minor in. no rush.