Minority question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI
I have a question about applying as a Minority. How do you get consider as a Minority?does it have to do with how much money your parent income is (if your a Minority). My parents are colombian's and i was born in the USA, and for the first 10 years of my life my family lived with the help from welfare. Now my dad now makes about $50K a year from disable becuz he is handicap(car accident).Everyone has different a answer,so it think this would be the best place to asks and i am wondering if i can apply to medical school or any other program as a Minority..... Thanks

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

Members don't see this ad.

Your Hispanic, right? That's about as minority as it gets...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, so income is not a factor to applying as a Minority?

Gutierrez001 said:
Thanks, so income is not a factor to applying as a Minority?
With medical schools, it's about being a member of a minority group Underrepresented in Medicine. (often abbreviated as URM) It's not about financial status. You qualify if you are Hispanic, African-American, or Native American.

No, not at all; you're confusing two different issues. One is minority status, based solely on race - either you were born a minority, or you werent. The other issue is disadvantaged status, which is comprised of many different factors, including current family income, past family income, opportunities available as a youth, and many other factors. If you grew up on welfare, there is a good chance you would "qualify" as disadvantaged.
To recap - no, income is NOT a factor when applying as a minority.

thanks for the info.

i thought amcas figured it out by itself?

i may be wrong.

I applied as an URM in 2004 and it inncludes mainland-Puerto Ricans, Mexican-Americans, African-Americans or Native Americans. Good luck with the whole process!

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) definition of underrepresented in medicine is:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Adopted by the AAMC's Executive Council on June 26, 2003, the definition helps medical schools accomplish three important objectives:

a shift in focus from a fixed aggregation of four racial and ethnic groups to a continually evolving underlying reality. The definition accommodates including and removing underrepresented groups on the basis of changing demographics of society and the profession,
a shift in focus from a national perspective to a regional or local perspective on underrepresentation, and
stimulate data collection and reporting on the broad range of racial and ethnic self-descriptions.
Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups.

http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

mr. sparkle said:
i thought amcas figured it out by itself?

i may be wrong.
no, you need to declare this information on your AMCAS application.