Minority Status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw an amazing video art installation at the California African Museum in Los Angeles. It was a series screens that displayed different African American men's thoughts and feelings about what it means to be Black/African American. All the opinions varied greatly, but yet they all consider themselves part of the group. So perhaps diversity is not about defining and concretizing groups, but about being open and inclusive with regard to how others see themselves and the world.

It's right that race is a construct, but although it may be false, it is very real for so many people.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw an amazing video art installation at the California African Museum in Los Angeles. It was a series screens that displayed different African American men's thoughts and feelings about what it means to be Black/African American. All the opinions varied greatly, but yet they all consider themselves part of the group. So perhaps diversity is not about defining and concretizing groups, but about being open and inclusive with regard to how others see themselves and the world.

It's right that race is a construct, but although it may be false, it is very real for so many people.
A social construct is indeed a powerful thing. The false biological construct of race does appear real to people. The woman who identified as African American without any African ancestry was kind of a fascinating case. I imagine that no one suspected any different either. We don't really realize all of the subtle socio-cultural cues that we are evaluating when we are categorizing people. I love the Southpark episode about gingers because it really made fun of how arbitrary these cues are.

Reactions: 1 user
A social construct is indeed a powerful thing. The false biological construct of race does appear real to people. The woman who identified as African American without any African ancestry was kind of a fascinating case. I imagine that no one suspected any different either. We don't really realize all of the subtle socio-cultural cues that we are evaluating when we are categorizing people. I love the Southpark episode about gingers because it really made fun of how arbitrary these cues are.
Agreed. Part of reason nobody suspected about her, apart from the hair and make-up, was the often unstated "one drop rule" in the US. People have historically been thought of as AA with even the slightest family history. And, of course, this is linked to notions of passing. You're right, passing in the direction of the subjugated class is rare, but it happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Part of reason nobody suspected about her, apart from the hair and make-up, was the often unstated "one drop rule" in the US. People have historically been thought of as AA with even the slightest family history. And, of course, this is linked to notions of passing. You're right, passing in the direction of the subjugated class is rare, but it happens.
In some states, I believe that the one-drop rule was actually legislated as part of the Jim Crow laws. It is definitely something that is still part of our cultural belief system and the socio-cultural hierarchy.

I know of some programs (mine included) that being male slightly helps in being admitted because of the sheer low number of males in the program.
When I was on internship we had an older female apply for one of our slots. Initially they were excited, but after 1:1 interviews, it was pretty clear she was was not going to be ranked, but it had everything to do with her competence as best I recall. Lots of "what did she just say" types of faces..

As an update to that situation, per CNN (I think), she has recently said that while she isn't African-American, she does self-identify as black.

It is indeed a powerful societal construct, though, that seems to encapsulate and (in terms of normative data) essentially serve as a proxy and "catch all" category for a variety of factors.

RE: whether or not being male is an advantage when it comes to psychology admissions/internship apps, I can say that I anecdotally heard one or two instances in grad school in which it was informally suggested as such (mostly in discussions of other advisors' labs regarding applicants). Although how much it actually affected applicant rankings and the like, I've no idea. It never came up on internship or fellowship as best I can remember, although other aspects of diversity did.

I definitely noticed the male/female discrepancy ratio when out on internship and fellowship interviews, to the point that at about 7 or 8 of them I was the only guy. I remember one of the training directors making the comment when he saw me with about 10 other women, "What, are we making a minority hire with this white male?"

I'm a minority (and was born in another country). While I'm not in a PhD program yet, I can say that I've experienced only positive reactions over the course of this past year when I've reached out to predominantly white labs/clinics for experience. Most psychologists and researchers I've spoken with thus far seem to welcome diversity and appreciate how staff with diverse experiences (such as being born in a developing country) can serve their populations better.

Thanks for the thoughts. I enjoy thought experiments about topics of diversity. I think one of the difficult things about it is that it is such a charged issue most people are not able to think about it without becoming reactive, no matter what the viewpoint (pro, against, confused, etc) is. It really troubles me because with that re-activity comes a stifling of actual discussion and capacity to critically evaluate.

1. I'm not sure that follows. Just because someone is biased against something doens't mean that person couldn't help someone else. Just because I dislike minority X doesn't mean that I can't help with phobia Y or minority issue Z. It's a bit of a Lucifer effect. I agree that openness is critically helpful, but I'm not sure that its possible to say definitively that it is impossible to help someone if you are biased yourself. I also imagine the degree of diversive belief would also be important. If someone absolutely, without a doubt, thinks that race X is horrible and no one can be trusted that deals with them, I (speaking as a southern guy who has run into these folks a good deal) can tell you that they are seldom open to my openness with that population. I think we would be in trouble as a people, and as a profession, if we expected perfection of ourselves. Either way, I generally agree with your point its just a thought experiment I like to raise.

2. One of the rationales is that we need diversity in the field due to its implications. If diversity does not promote changes that are clinically important, then one of the arguments for diversity inclusion efforts is undermined. This argument is even made within this thread.

I'm curious about the whole idea of when we enter the profession. We describe and think of internship as a capstone experience and it is. Its not exactly a hurdle that many don't pass. While there are some that don't pass EPPP or don't get licensed, almost everyone gets an internship (if that means a second year, either way- they still get one). The number of those who leave the field entirely during internship applications is VERY small I would wager. The number who do so because of issues related to diversity status is likely in infinitely small metrics.

I would be more concerned about the affording of 800 dollar tests and 800 dollar study materials for those from poorer families, or the high cost of travel for internship interviews for that matter, than mere ethic classifications that often make the focus. My belief is that the issue is less about ethnic differences (white vs black vs green vs purple or whatever else) and that wealth disparities are more likely reflective of economic differences influencing capacity for diverse ethnic groups to seek this professional training; There is a general trend where college education begets college education and doctor tend to beget doctor. This is why there are so many educational efforts for first generation college students. Those programs (e.g., Trio, etc.) don't target rare although race does become a disparate factor when compared to US census. This isn't where we put our focus though and I think that's a huge disservice.

Still though, what constitutes diversity? It worries me that we use 'diversity' to make qualifications (as noted on hiring decisions, etc) but there is no explicit agreement on when a group is sufficiently distinct from another to win that classification. In measurement terms, diversity has a large issue with group descrimination (ironic isn't it?).

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Here are some responses:

1. I think it does follow. My take is that bias or hatred towards a certain group is a form of emotionally charged irrationality (and I'm talking about cultures, races, genders, religions, sexual orientations, etc. and not groups like hate groups). If one cannot explore the basis of a bias or hatred, and process it or at least have some deep awareness of it, I cannot imagine they would be of much use to many clients. I guess I believe that old saw about only being able to take a clients only as far as you've gone. Perhaps manualized treatments obviate this, but I doubt it.

2. I think this argument is too restrictive. There is also room for social justice and fairness beyond pure clinical applicability.

People may not outright fail internship often, but they can come out of internship with no letters and few job prospects, and I would consider this a failure.

I agree that meritocracy, which I think you are indirectly describing, is a blight on our society.