Misdemeanor advice...Can't find info elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiggurr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal...(and please do not quote/copy this post)

I have been charged with a misdemeanor (minor in possession of alcohol - several years ago), but the charge was dropped by the court, and I was not convicted. I applied in a previous cycle, and I checked the (No) box on the misdemeanor question. However, in the interview, I was asked if I had ever been arrested. I provided a really bad response, and in the exit interview, they noted that I should have provided a better answer to this question (i.e. say what I learned from it, etc.)

I reapplied to the same school and received another interview; however, during this interview, I was not asked about my arrest record. I did not volunteer this information during the interview, and I also checked the (no) box on the AMCAS misdemeanor question (If it matters, I did consult a lawyer to ensure that I was answering the question honestly).

So, with that being said, would it be advisable to email the school with a letter detailing my arrest (including what I learned from it, and how I have changed and matured), or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The dog is asleep. Let it lie --

You did consult your lawyer and have his/her advice about your legal situation. Follow that advice. However if in the future, you are asked a question that is broader -- arrests instead of convictions -- my advice is to be more forthcoming. Admit you were arrested for MIP (a non-issue) several years ago, that the charges were dismissed so you do not have any convictions on your record -- but that you DID learn from the experience and changed your behavior accordingly.

Expect the question. Prepare your answer.

Reactions: 1 users
The dog is asleep. Let it lie --

You did consult your lawyer and have his/her advice about your legal situation. Follow that advice. However if in the future, you are asked a question that is broader -- arrests instead of convictions -- my advice is to be more forthcoming. Admit you were arrested for MIP (a non-issue) several years ago, that the charges were dismissed so you do not have any convictions on your record -- but that you DID learn from the experience and changed your behavior accordingly.

Expect the question. Prepare your answer.

Thank you so much for the response. I will ensure that I have a good answer handy for whenever I may need it in the future.

If the misdemeanor charge for minor in possession of alcohol was as you put it, "several years ago" and the charges were dropped, then it's not on your record. In a previous cycle you correctly checked "No" though you answered the "have you ever been arrested" question wrong. In retrospect, you should have said "Yes, but the charges were dropped," and then have been upfront about it (probably what they told you in the exit interview, yea?) This is what you should do if asked again.

Reapplying to the same school and getting another interview? Sweet deal. No question about arrest record this time? Good. And good job not volunteering this info (you shouldn't if not asked directly). You did right by checking "No" on AMCAS, which is fine. Your lawyer is giving you good advice.

You should not email the school with a letter about what you learned about your arrest and how you have changed and matured unless prompted. Let sleeping dogs lie. But be prepared to discuss it if brought up by the school (they might dig up your old file.)