This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canimg11grad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
So, as embarrassing as this is, I missed the deadline for registering for the ABIM internal medicine boards for Aug/2018. There's no excuse that I feel could make such a ridiculous mistake sound any better. Despite the backloaded schedule, and third year chief duties etc etc, I have been studying and even worked extra shifts last month so that I could go to the ACP board review next week.
I am starting fellowship this July and I'm not sure if sitting for the boards in first year is a requirement, am I going to get fired for not sitting for them, what are the repercussions of such an asinine brain fart? I know that the cardiology boards in 2019 will be in October and potentially I could do the ABIM board in August of 2019 and still be ok in terms of timing. But ..... what do I do??

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldnt affect your fellowship. In my institution it is not a requirement for anything. The only problem is that some cards fellowships are super front loaded in their first year so might not have time to study for next year

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn’t be an issue. Obviously taking it next year after your first year of fellowship just adds some more stress to your life but it’s not the end of he world.

Hi.
So, as embarrassing as this is, I missed the deadline for registering for the ABIM internal medicine boards for Aug/2018. There's no excuse that I feel could make such a ridiculous mistake sound any better. Despite the backloaded schedule, and third year chief duties etc etc, I have been studying and even worked extra shifts last month so that I could go to the ACP board review next week.
I am starting fellowship this July and I'm not sure if sitting for the boards in first year is a requirement, am I going to get fired for not sitting for them, what are the repercussions of such an asinine brain fart? I know that the cardiology boards in 2019 will be in October and potentially I could do the ABIM board in August of 2019 and still be ok in terms of timing. But ..... what do I do??
nobody will care. it will just be a "pride" issue for yourself.

Agree with the above...but I would try to take it ASAP because I know of a person who never passed his medicine boards and then wasn't able to sit for the cardiology boards. THAT would be a problem, but it's a rare problem to have. Most people who make it into cards fellowship are good enough test takers that failing the medicine boards is not likely to happen. You can still go to your board review class in a few weeks, and keep the study materials for the next year. That stuff is unlikely to change in a year or so.

I'm a bit confused about the OP's original post, though. He/she is worried about the 2019 cardiology boards. If starting cards fellowship in 2018, then he/she won't be able to sit for cardiology boards until 2021 anyway, so there is no extreme urgency to passing the medicine boards now, although I don't recommend waiting until 2020 or 2021, for the reason mentioned in my post above.