MKSAP 14 material and audio efficient for Step 3 prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakFlag

spiral of silence
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Are the MKSAP 14 questions and audio lectures efficient for Step 3 prep or overkill?

I was thinking of doing MKSAP from now until March 2009, then switch to using First Aid:Step 3 with the CCS cases at usmlesteps123.com and use USMLEWorld MCQs until test time in April/May. Would this be a good plan?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also looked at the MKSAP 14 questions while studying for a little while, couldn't get through all of it. In hindsight, I think it was overkill, too detailed for what they are asking on the exam. I did NMS question book, USMLE world and USMLEstep123 for CCS which was enough to pass.

i think MKSAp is too high and is at a level of Inservice exam and internal medicine boards. kaplan, Uw qbanks with kaplan step2 material and family practice book should be good enough

I agree that MKSAP Audio is probably overkill for Step 3 prep - especially if you find yourself having trouble getting through all the information.

Step three is so intimidating because it is supposed to be the culmination of all four years of med school, most of which you haven't even thought about since you finished that 6 week rotation (i.e. a lot of Peds tends to be forgotten as soon as you step off the Peds ward).

My best advice is to pick a couple of books/audio and go through them a 2 to 3 times before the exam. Just make sure you get through all the material! Peds, Ob/Gyn, and all. And do the MCQs along the way.

If you want audio to study on the go, a shorter audio program than the all-encompassing MKSAP is USMLE Recall Step 3. It has gotten mixed reviews from some, but is definitely a better size and a good resource.

Good luck on Step 3. . . Just make sure you get through all the material 2 or 3 times!

Stark

Members don't see this ad :)
To add to what the others have echoed...MKSAP is a bit of an over kill, however with that being said..if you have the time and patience..its probably the best way to prepare as it will also come in handy for when you write your internal medicine boards. I personally have given it a try, but i have only about a few weeks before the exam so its not the bext route for me. I am using UW questions, UW ccs cases and this review book called USMLE Triage for step 3. Its a new book and in my opinion it is way better then first and crush the boards. This is my opinion..before anyone jumps at me..but I feel sits a very effective book which is more advanced in its content then Crush and First Aid. Anyways..I am going with it and lets see what happens! I will keep u guys posted!
HOpe this helps

Thanks for the advice! I've been rocking out to MKSAP 14 audio whenever I exercise or commute. If I'm at the gym doing cardio, weights or stretching I'll listen to the MKSAP 14 discussion-style audio. If I'm commuting I'll listen to the board questions audio of the corresponding subspecialty.

Using this system I've finished over 80% of the entire MKSAP 14 audio discussion+Q&A sections AND been able to maintain an awesome exercise regimen. I've definitely learned a TON and it's really enhanced my care of patients on the floor and unit. When I have time to sit down and study I can go straight to MCQs. Believe it or not MKSAP 14 actually covers IM subspecialty issues in peds, surgery or OB (like cardiology in pregnancy, peds GI problems, perioperative care). Anything else I guess I'll just read from my Crush 3.

As for the USMLE Step 3 RECALL AUDIO...I just listened to the sample at:
http://audiobooks.lww.com/Pages/UsmleStep3RecallAudio.aspx?defaultExpand=produtDetails Take a listen and you'll see that it's no comparison to MKSAP 14 audio. Dr. Donald Deye is a rockstar and makes everything fun to listen to. Sorta reminds me of Goljan..

FreakFlag,

Audio is liberating isn't it. Currently, I love going to the gym in the morning because it gives me an hour to listen to my audio books. When I was a resident, I didn't mind walking the dog for an hour a day because it wasn't just "dog walking" time, it was study time for my boards.

It's great to go to the gym guilt free.

Stark

Find USMLE Audio at:
www.ApolloAudiobooks.com