MMI question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metview

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the basic format of the MMI as well as the type of questions they ask which are based around some type of scenario, but do MMI's also have stations where you are asked traditional questions such as why this school? why medicine? tell me about an activity? etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the basic format of the MMI as well as the type of questions they ask which are based around some type of scenario, but do MMI's also have stations where you are asked traditional questions such as why this school? why medicine? tell me about an activity? etc?

They can, yes. Depends on the school.

Reactions: 1 user
for MMI scenario questions, what is the recommended time length of your initial response? 1 minute? 4 minutes? is it better to give a short and direct response, and then answer their follow-up questions, or is it better to be thorough with your response and go through all the scenarios before they get to ask questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the practice MMIs I've done and from what I've heard the format is generally 10 minutes total per station, 2 minutes to read the prompt and 8 minutes to complete it.

There are a mix of "normal" interview questions like why this school, etc. and then in addition to these there are "acting" and "situational" questions.

for MMI scenario questions, what is the recommended time length of your initial response? 1 minute? 4 minutes? is it better to give a short and direct response, and then answer their follow-up questions, or is it better to be thorough with your response and go through all the scenarios before they get to ask questions?

I don't think you should try and "time" anything out. I think you should react to whatever situation/scenario you are given, present your points and be able to back up your argument. In my experience, there were stations where you could easily talk for 4+ minutes about a given topic. In others, I made my point in 1-2 minutes. I think it is better to present a sound and concise argument rather than babbling on with "filler" to take up more time. Your interviewer will ask you follow-up questions (in my experience), or perhaps challenge your opinion. Either way, it will stir up a discussion. I think the most important thing is to be able to back up your points and avoid flip-flopping your answer when challenged, acknowledge other perspectives, and maintain a clear line of communication. Also, don't forget, you have two minutes to read the prompt and come up with a list of points backing up your general argument/approach to the scenario before entering the room. I don't believe the MMI is 100% about what you're saying, I think another aspect of it is how you say it, how you present yourself, and your communication skills in general.

Reactions: 1 user