Mnemonics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rEliseMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any particularly awesome mnemonics for the 12 cranial nerves? I'm a fan of the dirty or explicit ones, but I'm open to hearing any. I was going to think of my own but I thought this could be a cool discussion topic as well!

How about mnemonics for other things you've had to memorize? Any noteworthy ones? Discuss! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start:

We were talking about afferent vs. efferent nerves earlier and to my WordNerd brain, it makes sense that:
Afferent sounds vaguely like Affect which appeals to the Feelings (Senses) = Sensory
Efferent sounds vaguely like Effective which applies mostly to Physical Success = Motor

My professor said it was good but that he could never remember the different meanings of Affective and Effective. Then again, he taught us that XY was female. =\

Here's what my Wiki search yielded for the Cranial nerves.

"Obviously Once One Takes The Anatomy Final, Very Good Vodka Alleviates Heartache"
or this one, which includes more than one letter of each nerve!
"OLd OPrah's OCcupation: TROpical TRIps ABoard FAmous VESsels, GLamorous VAcations, ACCumulating HYPe"

And for the type,
"Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More"
or although I don't agree with this one...
"Some Say Marilyn Monroe, But My Brother Says Brigitte Bardot Mmmm Mmmmm."

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned the phrase below when I first took Advanced Anatomy and Physiology when I was going towards the Nursing direction (frosh year). Even my Speech Anatomy professor used this phrase a lot over lectures.

On old Olympus
' Towering Tops, a Finn and German viewed some hops.

Efferent Exits the brain ... In other words, motor.

Here's a dirty one for you that my neuroanatomy professor told us:

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina And Hymen

(...that's with CN VIII as Auditory instead of vestibulocochlear)

Here's a dirty one for you that my neuroanatomy professor told us:

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina And Hymen

(...that's with CN VIII as Auditory instead of vestibulocochlear)

I know this isn't a forum for feminist discourse, but may I just say that I find this one super creepy? It doesn't refer to a "woman," but rather a "girl," and it plays into our society's disturbing virgin complex. So messed up.

I know this isn't a forum for feminist discourse, but may I just say that I find this one super creepy? It doesn't refer to a "woman," but rather a "girl," and it plays into our society's disturbing virgin complex. So messed up.

But it's not Wossopharyngeal...
I don't think that mnemonics are necessarily within the realm of feminist discussion, especially because they're supposed to be shocking to aid in the memory process.

But it's not Wossopharyngeal...

No, I'm not suggesting that the word "woman" should be substituted here. I'm sating that this isn't about a night of passion with a consenting adult, but rather about sexually fantasizing about an apparent virgin/child. Sick, and I don't care if you like the "shock factor." I just really don't support spreading this mnemonic, especially when you don't know who it could be a trigger for.

Sick, and I don't care if you like the "shock factor." I just really don't support spreading this mnemonic, especially when you don't know who it could be a trigger for.

We clearly grew up in very different worlds. I still consider myself a 'girl' even though I'm 21 and not a virgin.

Yes, unfortunately, in our society even a 30-year-old woman can still be called a "girl," although you would pretty much never hear someone refer to a 30-year-old man as a "boy." But the point I'm trying to make is that our society fetishizes virginity (in females, not males), and it's not right.

Yes, unfortunately, in our society even a 30-year-old woman can still be called a "girl," although you would pretty much never hear someone refer to a 30-year-old man as a "boy." But the point I'm trying to make is that our society fetishizes virginity (in females, not males), and it's not right.

I respectfully disagree with you, but to each his/her own. Let's get back to the mnemonic/audiology discussion, shall we? :)

hahahaha, wow

:troll:

Hey, this is the last time I'll post on this thread since I'm now being called a "troll" despite the fact that I've participated in this forum for about a year and clearly care about its well-being. The simple truth is that I'm deeply concerned with the subtle, subconscious ways women are brought down in this society, and I feel the need to point these ways out when I observe them. I'm not trolling/ trying to get a rise out of anyone, but rather speaking out about a subject that I care passionately about. If you are a fellow forum-goer who cares about womens' issues, I recommend www.feministing.com and www.msmagazine.com

Also feel free to privately message me.

Peace out.