MO & IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etoolky1

Tooth girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone live in Missouri or Illinois and plan to apply to dental school (2006 application cycle)? What schools are you applying to? What are your plans for the year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Ill, but live in St. Louis. I already applied this past year and I'm going to UIC next fall. I applied to UIC, SIUE, Creighton, NYU, NOVA, and BU. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with!

B10

I'm a MO resident applying to UMKC and other schools

Members don't see this ad :)
svwtyf said:
I'm a MO resident applying to UMKC and other schools
what are you doing until dental school starts?

billiken10 said:
I am from Ill, but live in St. Louis.

where in STL are you?? i live in Clayton! we should have coffee together sometime.

Comet208 said:
where in STL are you?? i live in Clayton! we should have coffee together sometime.

I live in U.City near the loop. I'm about 5-10 min from Wash U. I'm always up for coffee. I spend a large amount of my life at Blackberry Cafe... :oops: Send me a PM if you want!

On the IL front, anybody have any news from SIU yet?

Dr2BSoon said:
On the IL front, anybody have any news from SIU yet?
Nothing. My app is under review. They take forever!!!!!!

etoolky1 said:
Nothing. My app is under review. They take forever!!!!!!

No friggin' kidding!!! Still under review...waitlisted #3 at UIC. I am hoping I get in before July...dont know how likely that is. Any UIC students out there get in off the waitlist recently or even last year?

Yeah.... so SIU flat out rejected me and I was even working for one of the adcom members at the time!

Keep your chin up, B16, I think you're in great position.

Hey STL ppls, I live a few hours south of there. Are you guys going to go/apply to UMKC?

heyitscyndi said:
Hey STL ppls, I live a few hours south of there. Are you guys going to go/apply to UMKC?
Yes

I took the advice of a dental student and visited one of the dental schools- SIU. My boss discouraged me from considering a school "in the middle of nowhere" as he put it. He made a good point by comparing it to UIC (he's an alumni). Think about the level of education you'll be receiving and the type of teachers at these schools. First of all, why would a dentist be teaching- which is very discouraging when you think about it, unless its a "guess dentist". Next think, why would someone teach at a school at Southern when you have a metropolis like Chicago nearby? Both school are equally dilapitated, and SIU is more expensive the UIC. Still considering applying, but I am curious as to any other dental schools in the Midwest. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Diana A. said:
I took the advice of a dental student and visited one of the dental schools- SIU. My boss discouraged me from considering a school "in the middle of nowhere" as he put it. He made a good point by comparing it to UIC (he's an alumni). Think about the level of education you'll be receiving and the type of teachers at these schools. First of all, why would a dentist be teaching- which is very discouraging when you think about it, unless its a "guess dentist". Next think, why would someone teach at a school at Southern when you have a metropolis like Chicago nearby? Both school are equally dilapitated, and SIU is more expensive the UIC. Still considering applying, but I am curious as to any other dental schools in the Midwest. Anybody else have any suggestions?

I really have no clue what you are talking about. SIU students CONSISTENTLY score higher on NBDE part I and II than UIC students. UIC actually changed its curriculum recently in order to try to compete with SIU. I am not the biggest SIU fan considering how they handle the application process....but I have to say in terms of the overall experience...I hear SIU churns out well educated and clinically proficient dentists. Many people I have talked to in the dental world (in IL) think the world of SIU...I dont know where you got your info from. In terms of living in beautiful Alton, IL...I agree not many students or faculty will have an extreme interest in living down there (its one of the reasons I am not upset I didnt get in--I am waitlisted--from being waitlisted last year I know I wont get in) and its in the middle of nowhere...but their clinics are nice and the education is top notch. I think you are misinformed. I will agree with you on worrying about getting patients seeing where it is located...although it is 15 mins from St. Louis so I am pretty sure they get a good flow from there....

To answer your last question...it depends where you are a resident. If you are a resident of MO, you can really only apply to UMKC and private schools. You can apply to other state schools but you wont have much success and will lose money. There was an applicant on here who was out of state for IL and they applied to UIC....huge waste of money. However, there are state schools that do accept a large amount of out of staters like Indiana. Do research...call schools find out which ones are private. Nova, Boston, NYU, Temple (semi-private), Creighton, Harvard, UPENN, UOP, Marquette and many more are private. I think Creighton and Marquette are the midwests only private dental schools (that come to mind..Louisville might be or they just accept a lot of out of state students).

first of all, SIU is cheaper than UIC. at UIC you pay an extra semster of tuition for the D1 summer, and the living expenses are much higher.

one advantage of having an independent dental school such as SIU, is all the faculty are devoted solely to the dental school (unless they also work in private practice). at UIC, we often borrow professors from the medical school. the facilities at SIU are far better too. their board scores (part I and II) are better than UIC's almost every year. UIC's advantage is it has a strong research reputation and somewhat easier clinical graduation requirements.

if you get into either school, you are lucky. in-staters are facing fiercer competition every year.

you asked for other suggestions in the midwest? if you're an illinois resident, then SIU/UIC is the way to go. not worth paying the extra tuition to go to a private school.

Diana A. said: