Money Problem!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Keem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received an interview from a really good school across the country(exciting right)......The problem is that the interview is scheduled for NEXT WEEK and I can't afford the plane ticket. And to make things worse, this school says multiple times in its email correspondence that they don't "reschedule appointments" unless in cases of emergencies. The interview is the day after I get paid ,so I have been thinking about buying the ticket then,which will probably be soooooo much more expensive, or asking for an advance at my job.

My stats are far from the greatest so I don't believe that i'm in any position to turn down an interview sooo......any suggestions? Should I call the school? Will this count as an emergency situation? Should I get creative with a ski-mask and my nephew's nerf gun?

(jokes aside, kinda stressing about this):arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to exhaust other options. Maybe borrow money from family? And pay them back. That probably the best bet. If your cool with your supervisors an advancement on pay may work too.

I would consider not being able to afford the ticket an emergency worthy of rescheduling. Do you have a credit card? This would be the perfect time to use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to exhaust other options. Maybe borrow money from family? And pay them back. That probably the best bet. If your cool with your supervisors an advancement on pay may work too.
I come from a low-income family so money is very tight for them at the moment. I wouldn't say that I'm cool with my supervisors, but I work at a research lab and receive a stipend so I know the money is there. Hopefully it works out.

The fact that they sent me the invitation so soon makes me think that they want me....but a weeks notice is crazy!!

Last edited:
I would consider not being able to afford the ticket an emergency worthy of rescheduling. Do you have a credit card? This would be the perfect time to use it.

Yeaaaa no credit cards here. Working on getting one though. And i'm trying to make rescheduling my last resort...even though I don't have much time

A weeks notice is crazy! I would try leaving rescheduling as a last resort as well. Any friends that can bail you out (maybe a group of them)? Or maybe one of them have credit cards. If not and there's no other way I would definitely call and explain the situation to them.

I am currently a senior graduating that switched from Pre-PT to Pre-Med. During my Sophmore year I incurred some really bad grades whic were a result of familial and the passing of a loved one. Amongst those bad grades I earned a F in Cal twice and a C in Gen Chem 1 on my second try as I was intent on having a reason to leave school and come home.A fter that I earned a couple more C's but re-took all classes and earned an A. Sorry for the long post, So here are my stats:
MCAT: 28
UGPA: 3.6
SGPA: 3.51
URM: Black Male
Shadowing: 120 hours 30-Pathology,60- Family Medicine, 30-Physical Medicine and Rehab
Extracurriculars: Academic tutor 3 years, Student Assistant 2years, Impact Peer Mentor 2 years, Muscle Dystrophy Association counselor 2 years, Habitat for Humanity builder 2 years

I am currently a senior graduating that switched from Pre-PT to Pre-Med. During my Sophmore year I incurred some really bad grades whic were a result of familial and the passing of a loved one. Amongst those bad grades I earned a F in Cal twice and a C in Gen Chem 1 on my second try as I was intent on having a reason to leave school and come home.A fter that I earned a couple more C's but re-took all classes and earned an A. Sorry for the long post, So here are my stats:
MCAT: 28
UGPA: 3.6
SGPA: 3.51
URM: Black Male
Shadowing: 120 hours 30-Pathology,60- Family Medicine, 30-Physical Medicine and Rehab
Extracurriculars: Academic tutor 3 years, Student Assistant 2years, Impact Peer Mentor 2 years, Muscle Dystrophy Association counselor 2 years, Habitat for Humanity builder 2 years

Umm, you have decent stats but...I think you posted in the wrong thread my boy . And you didn't ask a question.lol

Umm, you have decent stats but...I think you posted in the wrong thread my boy . And you didn't ask a question.lol
KMSL. It's my first day on the job so I just went post happy I guess. I was wondering what my chances were given the current stats. That is my AACOMAS Gpa, but my AMCAS is 3.3.

KMSL. It's my first day on the job so I just went post happy I guess. I was wondering what my chances were given the current stats. That is my AACOMAS Gpa, but my AMCAS is 3.3.

Click on the "forums" tab on the top of the page. It should be next to the "home" tab. That will take you to all the different forums on SDN. Look for and click "Underrepresented in Healthcare", it should be beneath "Re-Applicants". Once you click that, it should take you to all threads related to fellow URMS. On the top right or bottom right on that page, you should see a button that says "Post New Thread". Click on that and make your post there. It will be a brand new thread and your likely to get more feedback that way.

And we have the same MCAT score, but my gpa is higher. I currently have 4 interviews so you will likely have a shot at an interview. Apply broadly and to HBCUs.

Happy to report that everything worked out with the UCLA interview. I will be in Cali this Friday!!!

Reactions: 8 users
how can a grown man not have a credit card...

how can a grown man not have a credit card...

Bad credit due to hospital bills and a problem with old roommates and their ability to pay things on time. No one will give me a card without a substantial deposit and yearly fee. I'm working on it though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to report that everything worked out with the UCLA interview. I will be in Cali this Friday!!!

Congrats man! Hope the interview went well.

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate it! It was my 1st MMI so i can't really gauge how I did, but I think it went well.

I'm sure you did fine. I've done 2 so far and you kind of get the hang of it as you do more. I think I have 1 more in 2 weeks. I think I like MMI more than traditional now lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure you did fine. I've done 2 so far and you kind of get the hang of it as you do more. I think I have 1 more in 2 weeks. I think I like MMI more than traditional now lol.

Yea, they are actually more fun and less stressful than the traditional 1-on-1 sessions. Looking forward to having more. And congrats on the interviews!

I come from a low-income family so money is very tight for them at the moment. I wouldn't say that I'm cool with my supervisors, but I work at a research lab and receive a stipend so I know the money is there. Hopefully it works out.

The fact that they sent me the invitation so soon makes me think that they want me....but a weeks notice is crazy!!

Can you reschedule? What school gives you an interview with a weeks notice and doesn't allow you to reschedule? I'm from a low income family too, and basically paid for all my interviews with credit cards & school loans. I got the discover it card for students, if you are in college or have a job, you are approved.

Yea, they are actually more fun and less stressful than the traditional 1-on-1 sessions. Looking forward to having more. And congrats on the interviews!

Yes, I definitely had fun with them. Thank you :) Congrats to you too. I'm hoping this cycle works out well.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you reschedule? What school gives you an interview with a weeks notice and doesn't allow you to reschedule? I'm from a low income family too, and basically paid for all my interviews with credit cards & school loans. I got the discover it card for students, if you are in college or have a job, you are approved.

I got denied for that one but applied before starting my job. I've been working for awhile and have paid off most of the things on my credit report, so hopefully I'll get a card soon. And all things worked out with the interview. My lab pulled some strings for me.:D

Reactions: 1 users