Monitors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powermd

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a patient monitor for our office and was wondering if anyone could provide some buying advice.

We need at least a heart rhythm strip, BP/HR, SPO2, maybe RR. Don't need ETCO2. 3-lead ECG max.

Ideally I'd like to spend $1K or less, and NOT go with a cheapie Chinese import.

I like the look of the Welsh Allyn Propaq. Currently there's one for $850 on dotmed. We used to use similar monitors to transport patients after OR cases, very durable and compact.

Members don't see this ad.

I got really nice Welsh Allyn for 450 on ebay with ekg

Ebay is an option but there are snags. First is the cost to have the machine biomed certified once you receive it. That runs around $100. Second is the fact that feedback on vendors is generally light on negative feedback. If the vendor corrects a problem or takes a return folks tend to avoid posting negatives.

I bought a Passport 2 from a seller with great feedback. It arrived smelling like tobacco, missing accessories, and with a fan that had a bad bearing. You could hear the fan across the room. Seller agreed to pay for return shipping but it was a hassle. We were able to get a Passport 2 with ETCO2 for $550 that we inspected before taking delivery and it is in great condition. Also bought an Accutor for $250 from the same seller so there are deals out there. It takes a lot of time watching Ebay and beware that certain models are either no longer supported by the manufacturer for repairs or just incredibly expensive to repair.