Montefiore GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whambam23

Reaction score
Montefiore GPR 2023

I know it’s around that time people are applying and interviewing to GPR programs. Just wanted to give my experience so far regarding the Montefiore so far. I’ll keep it short.

A little over 9 weeks in

Residents at my site average 3 rct mostly anterior 2 people have done a molar endo. The program director recently announced that she want to sent the molar endo to the endo fellowship.

4 anterior crowns average is 3

We do not have our own schedule. We can try to get continuations with a patient sometimes we get them back sometimes we don’t.

Extractions 5 total-(after my OS rotation) 1 surgical most people have done around the same amount. We don’t get to do alveoplasty , bone grafts and no implant placement

75% of the schedule consists of dentures/ exams and fillings. So you’ll be good at those.

There is still 8 weeks of rotations I have to complete where I will not be in clinic and just observing which I think is overkill

This program USED to be a really good program 10-12 years ago(lots surgical exts,implants placement etc, lots of endo). I knew someone who did their residency here. Now they have grown from 9-10 to roughly 40 people.

IMO this program is not worth it if you want to become well rounded. You’re better off doing a post-match or actually going to work where you get paid a decent amount and invest some of that money in CE courses. Instead of taking a 50k pay cut (new Gp salary~120k) to learn and do little. Especially with the debt from dental school. These programs receives roughly 150k funding for each resident they take in. On top of that here they take 5k from your offered salary(72k ) for tuition.

Reason I attended was the program director said they were doing a lot of molar endo and surgical extractions which isn’t true. At a site I rotated there’s only 2-3 assistants available, sometimes they aren’t even on the floor. Residents take their own x-rays and flip their own chairs 90 percent of the time unless endo or ext’s.

Best advice is to ask current residents about their experience and what have they done so far. That’s also for any other residencies you’re applying to.

There simply isn’t enough to go around procedures to go around. The program interviewers and directors do a good job selling it to you as they should it’s their job to get you in and fill spots. I know a couple people who did not leave because it would be a violation of match and It’d be troublesome if they wanted to specialize later on.

You’re on call about twice a month sometimes once, fairly easy to take time off and the attendings are pretty laid back from what I've seen so far. It’s a trade off they’re not a hardcore program at the same time you don’t get quality.

If you’re not trying to do much this is a laid-back residency (couple people told me they came here because of this) but if you want to become more proficient and expand your skills set as a GP there are better options.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that each clinic site (Broadway, Prospect, Blondell, etc.) has a different experience. Which one are you stationed at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that each clinic site (Broadway, Prospect, Blondell, etc.) has a different experience. Which one are you stationed at?
From what I've heard, I don't think it is, for this year at least. I've spoken with people from the other sites not much of a big difference. It's the patient population, what they can afford (hence a lot of removable and minimal fixed), and the fact that they have specialties as well. I'm at wakefield. Also, the sites are not guaranteed you have to rank them and hope you end up at the one you choose even if there is a ''better'' one. I've heard at some sites students look at the incoming procedures and try to have the front desk assign it to them (since there are no assigned schedules). Now you're having 2 students leaving with 40 crowns and the other 8 students with 10. Should not be that way.

Reactions: 1 user