More applications, more acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makwendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The large number of applications that are constantly referred to on SDN seem to be one of two things

1) A slight increase in the total number of applicants but a large increase in the number of schools each applicant is applying to

2) A LARGE increase in the total number of applicants

If #1 is the case, there's gonna be a few more unfilled seats Post Dec 1st due to a large number of multiple acceptances per applicant.

If #2 is the case, then we're entering a new era in Dental school apps. The pre-meds have moved to greener pastures.....

I think if AADSAS releasing a number would be the only way of knowing the total number of applicants....(do they do that every year?)

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree with the first one. I dont think second one is so true. There will be lots of unfilled seats after December 1st. Everyone is applying to atleast 5 schools. Most people with decent stats have interview from all those schools.

I personally think that it's a little bit of both #1 & #2

Members don't see this ad :)
makwendo said:
The large number of applications that are constantly referred to on SDN seem to be one of two things

1) A slight increase in the total number of applicants but a large increase in the number of schools each applicant is applying to

If #1 is the case, there's gonna be a few more unfilled seats Post Dec 1st due to a large number of multiple acceptances per applicant.

If #2 is the case, then we're entering a new era in Dental school apps. The pre-meds have moved to greener pastures.....

I think if AADSAS releasing a number would be the only way of knowing the total number of applicants....(do they do that every year?)

Anyone agree? Disagree?

I know and keep hearing about premeds switching to predental becuase medicine has chaged too much. Doctors have to see many-many patients daily, to only get paid half of what they bill the insurance. Their malpractice is as little as $40,000 for a low risk field, and in Oregon a new dentist would have to pay $600 a yr for malpractice :laugh: Many Drs are moving a lot of FL becuase they can't take it anymore. Then a dentist can work 4 days a week and spend the other 3 days with family, taking care of their back/neck :laugh: shopping and very little or none on call stuff...

So I think it's both factors ;)

I think it's more #1 then anything else. I've been on 3 interviews so far and out of all the people I've met, I've applied to the least amount of schools.

I applied to 6. Most of the people I've met have applied anywhere from 10 - 17 and they had recieved interviews at most of them. So I think it's mostly pre-dents wanting to make sure they have options later on down the road, which sucks because it lengthens the process for everyone.

Something tells me there will be a lot of post Dec. 1 acceptances this year. :rolleyes:

beannaithe said:
I think it's more #1 then anything else. I've been on 3 interviews so far and out of all the people I've met, I've applied to the least amount of schools.

I applied to 6. Most of the people I've met have applied anywhere from 10 - 17 and they had recieved interviews at most of them. So I think it's mostly pre-dents wanting to make sure they have options later on down the road, which sucks because it lengthens the process for everyone.

Something tells me there will be a lot of post Dec. 1 acceptances this year. :rolleyes:
i agree...more post dec. 1st acceptances and interviews...they might as well push the date back...it's inevitable...limit your interviews people...give the under 25 dat club some..haha

makwendo said:

Anyone agree? Disagree?

I think one is more clsoe to being accurate. There will be ton of POST dec 1 acceptacnes this year becaue most people I know that are applying have atleast 5-10 interviews and that is just crazy.

berryfremont said:
i agree...more post dec. 1st acceptances and interviews...they might as well push the date back...it's inevitable...limit your interviews people...give the under 25 dat club some..haha

dude, they should just abolish this rolling admissions system entirely and do it the way undergrad colleges do. I was so stressed thinking my sept DAT was too late.