More difficult to get accepted into Opt schools without a bachelors degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply after my 3rd year. Is it more difficult to get into Optometry schools without a bachelors degree?( minus the exception of those who require a bachelor's - like Berkeley.)
I want to apply to the following:
Waterloo, NECO, Pacific, PCO, and ICO.

I have alot of ECs, will take my OAT at the beginning of next summer.

Thoughts? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Applying after your 3rd year means you will have finished your fourth year during the application cycle, so wouldn't you have a bachelor's by then? Or are you just not going back to school after your 3rd year?

If the rest of your application looks awesome, it shouldn't be an issue. But many schools prefer that you have a degree. I'd call each of those schools and see what they tell you.

Applying after your 3rd year means you will have finished your fourth year during the application cycle, so wouldn't you have a bachelor's by then? Or are you just not going back to school after your 3rd year?

If the rest of your application looks awesome, it shouldn't be an issue. But many schools prefer that you have a degree. I'd call each of those schools and see what they tell you.

I mean I'd apply in my 3rd year or summer of second year, and have all my prerequisites finished.. So no, I wouldnt have a bachelors but would have my prerequisites finished! =)

My application would look semi-awesome.. first year didnt go so well because i focused more on ECs cuz I was afraid of missing out on good volunteer opportunities.. lol. 2nd and 3rd year should be better now that i know what to expect.. I'm going to call the schools anyways.. but do you think its more difficult to get in without a bachelors?

I checked NECO's stats and out of ~110 that are accepted, only 2 were accepted last year without a bachelors.. does that mean alot of people dont bother applying without a bachelors or is this small number of 2 admittees very qualified? Or does it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I'd apply in my 3rd year or summer of second year, and have all my prerequisites finished.. So no, I wouldnt have a bachelors but would have my prerequisites finished! =)

My application would look semi-awesome.. first year didnt go so well because i focused more on ECs cuz I was afraid of missing out on good volunteer opportunities.. lol. 2nd and 3rd year should be better now that i know what to expect.. I'm going to call the schools anyways.. but do you think its more difficult to get in without a bachelors?

I checked NECO's stats and out of ~110 that are accepted, only 2 were accepted last year without a bachelors.. does that mean alot of people dont bother applying without a bachelors or is this small number of 2 admittees very qualified? Or does it matter?

Ok got it! I think that a pretty small number of people apply without degrees which is part of the reason why many of the schools have very few students without them. I also think what you said about them being very qualified is true. Give them a call and post what they say, I'm sure there are other students on here in your situation who are curious! :thumbup:

Yes I would be very interested in knowing the answer to that question also!

In my experience with the application cycle, they are a bit harder on those who do not have bachelor's degrees, but it is not impossible. From what I've heard from schools, they are also getting a lot more competitive and more inclined to take students with degrees as well. If you want to be successful in applying, however, make sure you have a strong application (GPA, OAT, essay), and make sure to explain any flaws in your application in your essay or some other way.
Once you make it to the interview, you will most likely have the same questions everyone else has plus a few additional questions that will require you to prove that you have enough educational experience/optometry interest to work with students who have graduated/worked/etc already. If you can do that, then you should have no problem being accepted. Good luck!