More EC's? Nursing Assistant, Volunteering, Nursing School, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAcycling

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to round out my EC's before applying this year, and wondering if I should do anymore in the meantime?

Here's what I got:

Clinical Experience:
-1 year as a Certified Nursing Assistant (Long term care and acute care)
-1.5 years volunteering (1 year ER, 6 months trauma nursing unit)
-1.5 years out of 3 year nursing school (left to pursue medicine)

Leadership Experience:
-Founder/President Premedical Club (community college, pre-transfer)
-Liason to another Premedical Club (community college, pre-transfer)

Research Experience:
-Honors course taken in Biomedical Research at UCLA
-Honors courses taken in Organic Chemistry, Physics, Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry, with independent research and lab time

Shadowing:
-This summer, I'm scheduled to shadow a DO in family practice for over 40 hours

Extracurriculars:
-Involved in cycling (long distance), and amateur racing
-SPCA donor
-Personal training (non-certified), basically I've helped friends lose weight and get fit
-Amateur weight lifting

Non-Medical Work Experience:
To support myself, I've been working in my uncle's paint shop where I do general auto body repair and prep for painting. It's not glamorous, but I get free rent for it.
I also have an assorted collection of name tags and hairnets.

My plan for adding more to this list is to organize an internet-based tutoring service for pre-UC students, and to offer my services for reading/revising their application essays for college admissions in the Fall, but I'm busy this summer with studying for the MCAT and shadowing.

What say you? How's it look? Should I do more?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to round out my EC's before applying this year, and wondering if I should do anymore in the meantime?

Here's what I got:

Clinical Experience:
-1 year as a Certified Nursing Assistant (Long term care and acute care)
-1.5 years volunteering (1 year ER, 6 months trauma nursing unit)
-1.5 years out of 3 year nursing school (left to pursue medicine)

Leadership Experience:
-Founder/President Premedical Club (community college, pre-transfer)
-Liason to another Premedical Club (community college, pre-transfer)

Research Experience:
-Honors course taken in Biomedical Research at UCLA
-Honors courses taken in Organic Chemistry, Physics, Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry, with independent research and lab time

Shadowing:
-This summer, I'm scheduled to shadow a DO in family practice for over 40 hours

Extracurriculars:
-Involved in cycling (long distance), and amateur racing
-SPCA donor
-Personal training (non-certified), basically I've helped friends lose weight and get fit
-Amateur weight lifting

Non-Medical Work Experience:
To support myself, I've been working in my uncle's paint shop where I do general auto body repair and prep for painting. It's not glamorous, but I get free rent for it.
I also have an assorted collection of name tags and hairnets.

My plan for adding more to this list is to organize an internet-based tutoring service for pre-UC students, and to offer my services for reading/revising their application essays for college admissions in the Fall, but I'm busy this summer with studying for the MCAT and shadowing.

What say you? How's it look? Should I do more?
If you'd asked a year ago, I'd have suggested some hands-on nonmedical community service that helps the underprivileged, especially if you want to appeal to schools with humanistic leanings. If you decide to get involved in a cause you care about regardless, you could let schools know about it in update letters, where allowed.

I would try to get more in before i apply for med-school or anything because for a fact they want to really make sure that you are a well rounded person and are able to do more then one take throughout your career as a student and a doctor.