More leg press and aqua therapy and less steroids for the knee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this article in the scientific American via doximity.

It basically says the more movement in the joint, the better the ability to slowly heal damaged cartilage via the flow of nutrients from synovial fluid in/out of cartilage delivering nutrients.

Maybe a reason to start offering HA and prp followed by progressive loading exercises rather than a steroid injection.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Saw this article in the scientific American via doximity.

It basically says the more movement in the joint, the better the ability to slowly heal damaged cartilage via the flow of nutrients from synovial fluid in/out of cartilage delivering nutrients.

Maybe a reason to start offering HA and prp followed by progressive loading exercises rather than a steroid injection.

Agree on exercise but PRP on a fixed income geriatric pt sucks...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even PT suck$ for some of these patients.

Yeah. Every day a patient is telling me they can’t afford PT. One hospital system I am familiar with frequently has 300 dollar copays per visit.
Yup. 300 bucks per visit.
It’s pretty sad when patients can’t even do the most basic, safe, effective treatment due to cost. Then again, America is the land of the fat (excluding colorado).

Agree on exercise but PRP on a fixed income geriatric pt sucks...
Medicare patients will whine but most of them have more money in savings than they care to admit. They expect all of their healthcare to be 100% free just because they are on Medicare.

Most of them can find $500-600 for a PRP. If not, they aren’t hurting that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. Every day a patient is telling me they can’t afford PT. One hospital system I am familiar with frequently has 300 dollar copays per visit.
Yup. 300 bucks per visit.
It’s pretty sad when patients can’t even do the most basic, safe, effective treatment due to cost. Then again, America is the land of the fat (excluding colorado).
$300 for each PT visit is crazy! Do they charge more or less for a physician visit?

$300 for each PT visit is crazy! Do they charge more or less for a physician visit?

Ithink where I'm at they charge $130/hour. Don't think they get reimbursed that but that's the charge

TBH, i think PT is overutilized. how many patients do we sent to PT just b/c of insurance regs? how many LOL with stenosis go to PT. or overweight medicaid patients with LBP? or knee/hip/shoulder OA? none of those folks are getting better

post surgical patients, muscle injuries,? absolutely

TBH, i think PT is overutilized. how many patients do we sent to PT just b/c of insurance regs? how many LOL with stenosis go to PT. or overweight medicaid patients with LBP? or knee/hip/shoulder OA? none of those folks are getting better

post surgical patients, muscle injuries,? absolutely
i don't think it's overutilized. i think it's overly incorrectly utilized. How many therapists are indifferent to their jobs and , as you said, how many patients are too lazy to implement the lessons and concepts learned in therapy daily.

PT, diet, lifestyle changes started early in 40s/50s/maybe 60s will set them up for healthier joints and spines as they continue to age and degenerate. the more i think about it, the less i care for any meds because meds just gives them the excuse to stay lazy and fat/weak.

so annoying seeing 40 year olds with mild disc bulges and hypertrophy on MRI LSpine constantly asking for norco. they say PT doesn't work but it looks like they stuffed 5 burritos for breakfast.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
i don't think it's overutilized. i think it's overly incorrectly utilized. How many therapists are indifferent to their jobs and , as you said, how many patients are too lazy to implement the lessons and concepts learned in therapy daily.

PT, diet, lifestyle changes started early in 40s/50s/maybe 60s will set them up for healthier joints and spines as they continue to age and degenerate. the more i think about it, the less i care for any meds because meds just gives them the excuse to stay lazy and fat/weak.

so annoying seeing 40 year olds with mild disc bulges and hypertrophy on MRI LSpine constantly asking for norco. they say PT doesn't work but it looks like they stuffed 5 burritos for breakfast.
agree wholeheartedly. but i, for one, am not all that motivated to be a cheerleader for the lazy patient. is that my job? sort of. i guess. but i went to medical school to be a doctor, not a gym teacher

im basically to the point where i rarely prescribe PT for the immigrant community, medicaid, and medicare part B. just seems like an enourmous waste of resources.