Coursework & Fieldwork More OT shadowing or apply early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to OT programs for this upcoming cycle. I will be leaving for Europe for a month very soon. Some schools recommend sending in the application by September 15th to be considered for the first round of interviews. My question is: is it more important to submit the application early or obtain more shadowing hours? I have almost 200 volunteer hours with people with disabilities, but only 20 shadowing an OT. I should have no problem getting in the minimum 40 hours before I leave the country, but should I get in more shadowing hours when I come back before submitting my application? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you should get more hours. Even though on the OTCAS app it does ask for completed hours and in-progress/planned hours. However, I highly recommend getting more OT hours in different settings to show that you have a pretty good sense of different scopes of the field.

Good luck!

Great, thank you for the advice! I have shadowed OTs in hand therapy, hippotherapy, and rehabilitation, but obviously not long-term since I only have about 20 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thank you for the advice! I have shadowed OTs in hand therapy, hippotherapy, and rehabilitation, but obviously not long-term since I only have about 20 hours.

Oh, perfect! Definitely get in touch with some of them. Maybe they can let you shadow some more hours :)

I would try to get more hours for sure! I know OTCAS has an area for planned / in progress hours so you could add some hours in there as well. They also have a place for other experiences working with those who have disabilities so I would most certainly try to find somewhere to fit in your other hours too as they can only add to your application. Don't let the hours hold you up too long though because being early especially with schools that have rolling admission can be a huge plus. Some schools start interviews and applicant selection super early! Best of luck to you!

I would say apply early and let the schools know directly that you have more hours planned. And just keep them updated! Both things are very important, getting that app in early and the extra hours. You can always add to your application but can't go back and make them have anything earlier. Especially if you are using OTCAS, that takes a few weeks to process so its better to get that in earlier. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning to apply to OT programs for this upcoming cycle. I will be leaving for Europe for a month very soon. Some schools recommend sending in the application by September 15th to be considered for the first round of interviews. My question is: is it more important to submit the application early or obtain more shadowing hours? I have almost 200 volunteer hours with people with disabilities, but only 20 shadowing an OT. I should have no problem getting in the minimum 40 hours before I leave the country, but should I get in more shadowing hours when I come back before submitting my application? Thanks!

When I went to a information session at OSU, they said they treat their 40-hour minimum requirement as a checkbox. Meaning they only care if you have 40 hours, and having 1,000 hours will not give you an advantage over someone who has 40. However, I do know that some schools like Pitt will favor your application if you have more hours. So my advice would be to look at all the schools you plan on applying to and see what their stipulations are as far meeting shadowing requirements.
I've read a lot of posts on here and was stressed out seeing how some people have 1,000+ shadowing hours, while I have about 80 to 100 currently. I don't think they'll have much more of an upper hand as long as the rest of my application is strong. (according to OSU, at least.)