More than 3 eLORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EqSci

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools say that if we submit more than 3 eLORs, they will only review 3 and we should let them know which ones we want them to look at. I submitted 4 to VMCAS. How do I go about making sure each school's adcoms has the 3 that I want them to view?? A few of the supplementals had me specify, but I'm not sure how to notify the others. I tried e-mailing UPenn along with asking if my materials were recieved, and while she was quick to answer about the materials she ignored the eLOR request.

What did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools say that if we submit more than 3 eLORs, they will only review 3 and we should let them know which ones we want them to look at. I submitted 4 to VMCAS. How do I go about making sure each school's adcoms has the 3 that I want them to view?? A few of the supplementals had me specify, but I'm not sure how to notify the others. I tried e-mailing UPenn along with asking if my materials were recieved, and while she was quick to answer about the materials she ignored the eLOR request.

What did you do?

Call the schools and ask.

As an Adcom member I don't have time to go back into the file and find out which one(s) you want us to count.. I read them all with just a little hint of annoyance at having to read 4 instead of 3.

Members don't see this ad :)

What did you do?

Since most schools want one or two professors and a vet and some schools want one professor and two vets most people have to supply four. I would think that the school will just read the applicable letters. If they only read one vet you hope they pick the one that has known you longer. Some schools (Illinois) will only read letters sent by eLOR no paper letters.

Good luck!

I am worried about this also. I originally had four evaluators to cover the two vets/ two professors guidelines set by various schools. One of my professors went on a trip to Chile without doing my letter, and I couldn't contact him. I was under the impression he wouldn't be back until after the deadline, so I panicked and asked another professor. The original professor ended up coming through for me at the last second (the night of October 1st!).

Now I'm afraid that every school will think of me as "The annoying show-off with five letters of recommendation." :(

LOL, I am sure you are not the only one with five LORs! Nor do I think that they will take the time to think "annoying show off"! Actually, it might be better if they did - that would mean they remember you! :D

I also had this concern, and called VMCAS to ask what I should do. The person I spoke to said that I should call each school and let them know which of the four letters I wanted counted. I started with Davis, which is the highest priority for me, and was pleasantly surprised when the person I spoke to said they didn't mind reading all four. I hope it wont be a problem everywhere else.

I don't recall that any of the schools I applied to had a maximum. In fact, because of Cornell's requirement to submit a LOR for each "animal experience," I ended up having to submit written LORs in addition to the 5 VMCAS eLORs I submitted.

I hope "Fly on the Wall" isn't an ADCOM member at one of my schools or he's going to be very, very annoyed with me.

I don't recall that any of the schools I applied to had a maximum. In fact, because of Cornell's requirement to submit a LOR for each "animal experience," I ended up having to submit written LORs in addition to the 5 VMCAS eLORs I submitted.

I hope "Fly on the Wall" isn't an ADCOM member at one of my schools or he's going to be very, very annoyed with me.

Fly on the Wall has indicated in the past that he has been on the CSU adcom. Hopefully he won't mind that being repeated as it could be found in previous posts.

Fly on the Wall has indicated in the past that he has been on the CSU adcom. Hopefully he won't mind that being repeated as it could be found in previous posts.

Whew! I did not apply there. He's safe from my annoyingly fat packet of letters. :)

Prevets are a smart and talented group of people!

And I was really kidding when I said "annoyed". Well maybe a little true but I don't think I have ever dinged anyone for 4 or 5 letters. That said it really is hard to figure out which ones should or shouldn't count.. so they all get the same attention... the later ones arrive with stamp saying something like "additional material supplied by applicant" doesn't change anything.