More training in BMT or Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcademicDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got offers to work in BMT or stay for an extra year doing a dedicated fellowship in BMT. I have to say that as a second to third year fellow I am not totally comfortable with BMT(will do more rotations in BMT during third year). Leukemia, MM and etc is doable, but being the attending for Cord and Haplos might be a scary thing, at least for me.
The job has senior faculty and they seems to be very knowledgeable and ready to help. What do you guys think? How much more can I learn after so many years of training? I am leaning towards accepting the Job but would like to have input from the seniors...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We don’t have BMT in house, so we usually do an away rotation at the mothership and interested fellows go on to do an extra year of BMT focus after they’re done here.

My assessment after a month of BMT: it’s a cluster F and I have no interest in it.

That being said, I think because you have it in-house therefore more exposure than me, and if you dedicate your third year to it, and someone is willing to give you a job on that basis and you really see yourself doing BMT — go for it.

Besides chances are this is at another large academic center or something? You’ll have colleagues to lean on and hopefully a pharmD. Anyone operating in a vacuum in hemeonc these days is a quack.

i'm currently a BMT clinician scholar track (academic but not physician scientist track) with assistant professor title at a Tier 1 BMT center. Salary is mid 200k (based of 50% clinical work) and there's a good opportunity that I'd be promoted in 2 years to associate (with a 50k increase in salary). However, I want to explore PP for BMT only jobs to see how much more I could potentially make. I'm getting tired of pressure of having to produce in academia. Also, I love seeing patients.

What's the salary I should expect to get in PP as a full-time BMT/cellular therapy physician? I know there're not a lot of PP BMT looking for full-time BMT physician but they're out there and the way the field is going - many PP would love to have a BMT center.

Should I wait until I get my Associate stripe to command a bigger salary or it doesn't matter??

Not sure if i can help much with your questions but when I was interviewing I had a few Malignant hematology plus BMT offers in State of PA and Up state NY in private practices in ball park of 375k plus. Mostly clinical and maybe 10% research time. Mind you I was just out of fellowship too.
with experience under your belt may be you can do better.
just my 2 cents
good luck

Reactions: 1 user