Morehouse School of Medicine Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

House MD

M2
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I thought to start this thread for those accepted to Morehouse and plan to attend (or are considering it) starting this July 2011.

It might be helpful to at least figure out where good housing options are, make sure MSM has been keeping us updated, get to know each other, etc, etc.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting this thread. Does anyone know of a single-family home rental referral service in Atlanta. My wife and I are from Chicago and are having a hard time finding a housing referral service to help us find a place to rent. So far I've only found an apartment referral service. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm seriously considering MSM as well. I'm still waiting on a few more schools to get back to me. Hopefully one of those scholarships can seal the deal :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for starting this thread House MD. It would be nice to get to know some classmates before starting. I will definitely be attending Morehouse and am soo excited for the move to Atlanta...I would like to have a roommate though. Does anyone know if/when a list will be posted for individuals seeking roommates?

Hi all! I am thisclose to MSM being the school I end up at. Got a full scholarship, hard to turn down! Is there a Second Look? I would love to talk to some current students about many aspects of life at MSM. I want to know how class is run, is info posted online, do they have a note taking service, etc. I would love a day in the life run down. See you guys soon hopefully!

Hi all! I am thisclose to MSM being the school I end up at. Got a full scholarship, hard to turn down! Is there a Second Look? I would love to talk to some current students about many aspects of life at MSM. I want to know how class is run, is info posted online, do they have a note taking service, etc. I would love a day in the life run down. See you guys soon hopefully!

Congrats on the full scholarship! That is awesome!
I don't think there is a second look for MSM. But I'm sure if you cal them they can help answer questions or put you in contact with someone who can help.

And I would definitely like to know of a way they might help us get in touch with classmates so we can work on housing or even if they will provide us with some info on housing in general...

I am pretty sure MSM is where I want to be, but I've just been accepted to GW's 5-year decelarated MD program. DECISIONS DECISIONS. yikes!

Congrats on the full scholarship! That is awesome!
I don't think there is a second look for MSM. But I'm sure if you cal them they can help answer questions or put you in contact with someone who can help.

And I would definitely like to know of a way they might help us get in touch with classmates so we can work on housing or even if they will provide us with some info on housing in general...

I am pretty sure MSM is where I want to be, but I've just been accepted to GW's 5-year decelarated MD program. DECISIONS DECISIONS. yikes!

I know about decisions! This is so hard. I think I'm leaning one way, then I commit, then I go back the other way! MCG staff has been so supportive and nice and they are offering some money, but a full ride is extremely hard to turn down, not to mention the HBCU experience and my sister and her family live in Atlanta, but my parents, who I'm close to, live in Augusta. It's a tough choice. Also still thinking about Emory. . . ahhh!!!!!!

Hi all! I am this close to MSM being the school I end up at. Got a full scholarship, hard to turn down! Is there a Second Look? I would love to talk to some current students about many aspects of life at MSM. I want to know how class is run, is info posted online, do they have a note taking service, etc. I would love a day in the life run down. See you guys soon hopefully!

Congrats on the scholarship. We do not have an official Second Look day, as far as I know. However, there have been a few accepted individuals who have scheduled their own visits to the school. Also, as House MD mentioned, you can call the school if you have any questions.

In response to how class is run, all of us have the same lecture at the same time. Most classes are lecture style, although each professor is different.

There is no official note taking service but each class of students has one. In our class, there is an academic committee whose members which will provide notes for lectures, among other things. Also, the teacher's notes are always available online, even before they teach the lecture, although how helpful this is varies. For some professors, it may be an almost word for word copy of their lecture. For others, it may be a 80 page document that contains all the information you will ever need to know about the topic, but you'll have to determine on your own what is important if you miss the class. And for others, it may be a selection of unlabeled diagrams or MRIs that they plan on going over in class.

A brief overview of first year: As a 1st year, the first class starts at 9 and ends at 10:30. There is a thirty minute break before the next class at 11. This class is also an hour and a half. There is an hour long break for lunch. For the first 3 months of the year (school starts right after July 4th), these lectures will cover the "basic information" like biochemistry, cell biology, and basic histology. After lunch, there is normally histology lab which ends after you have covered the material.

For the rest of the year, each test will cover a different organ system or region of the body and the lectures will do the same. For example, the first lecture might be about the embryology of the kidneys and the second might be a lecture about renal physiology, taught by a different professor. The course after lunch varies. Normally, you'll be in either gross lab after lunch. There is no set time for lab. It ends when you and your lab group cover everything or decide you are done. Gross lab lines up mostly with the material you will be going over in class so when you're learning over renal physiology, you'll also be dissecting the posterior abdominal wall and examining the kidneys as well. Occasionally, there is another lecture after lunch for the Fundamentals of Medicine course. FoM is a year long course that covers all of theinformation that you need to learn that is "less related" to the body. For example, while the other courses cover biochemistry, anatomy, and physiology, FoM covers topics like biostatistics, medical ethics, and cultural competency. FoM also covers the basic clinical skills such as how to take blood pressure or take a history, although most of this is taught in 2nd year instead of first year. There are also clinical preceptorships where you go shadow a physician. Every Wednesday, you'll spend in the Community Health course. Community Health is another year long course in which a group of around 15 students is tasked with conducting a needs assessment and developing a intervention to promote or increase the health of a predetermined site in the community.

No matter what is after lunch, you can expect to be done with class by 5 at the latest and normally you'll be done way before then. Most of your time outside of class will be spent studying, although how you go about that is up to you.

All tests and quizzes are multiple choice with clinical vignettes and are taken on the laptop you receive (the cost of the laptop is part of your 1st year's tuition) at the beginning of the year. Miniboards (aka Subject Exams) are also taken on your laptop.

For my class, we started a Facebook group to get in touch with incoming students. I'm not sure if the school provides a way. There is a Facebook group for the class of 2015 (http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_151657561548535). I know that the school provides a list of housing and apartment complexes that current students recommend to students who decide to attend MSM. However that is still a month or two away, after the school has a solid idea of who will be attending. A couple individuals who will be in the class of 2015 got in touch with one of us through Facebook and asked for a housing list. I'm not sure if that list is available to the MSM Class of 2015 Facebook group. However, I can provide that list for you if it isn't.

I'm not sure if I adequately answered either of your questions. If I did not, or if you have any more, feel free to ask. I know a few members of the MSM Class of 2014 still frequent these forums. Alternatively, you can email me at [email protected]. I will respond, although I might be a little slow over the next few days as there is a test on Friday. Congratulations to all of you on your acceptances and good luck in your future endeavors, wherever you go.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance letter today. Morehouse is my second choice and I have been placed on a top tier wait list at my first choice so there is a BIG chance ill be seeing you all in JULY.

1. Does anyone know when orientation starts/ when the first day of classes begin?
2. Can we buy our own laptops, or do we HAVE to use the ones they give us??

1. Does anyone know when orientation starts/ when the first day of classes begin?
2. Can we buy our own laptops, or do we HAVE to use the ones they give us??

1. Orientation starts the first week after July 4th. If the 4th is on a weekend, it'll be on a Tuesday. The real classes begin towards the end of that week.

2. You have to use the ones provided, at least for the quizzes and tests. You can take notes and stuff however you like. The cost of the laptop is part of your first year's tuition.

lol, "MSM", why not just say Morehouse.

In general, MSM refers to the medical school. Morehouse refers to Morehouse College, the all male, undergraduate institution down the street. They are seperate entities. Plus, it's shorter and I'm lazy. :)

YAAY!! I'm a litlle late (okay real late lol) I got my accceptance letter on 3/28 and MSM was my first choice!!!! So i'll definitely be seeing you guys come July! Sigh, and here I was thinking class started in August...so looonnng summer! Anywhoo I also need to find info about housing ASAP. I think i'll call the school and see what I can find

Random question: The laptops we get, do students use them strictly for academic purposes or personal use as well?

Random question: The laptops we get, do students use them strictly for academic purposes or personal use as well?

You can use them for both purposes. They are your laptops to use however you like.

Hi Guys - This is Jonathan one of your new classmates at MSM starting in July! Anybody heard anything on Financial Aid yet? Is it normal that it's May and still I don't know what I can count on as far as government funds/loans, etc. other than my own money? Please reply if anybody is thinking like me.

Hey PedGirl - just wanted to let you know that I just moved to Defoor Village Apartments and they are great if you're looking for a nice place to live. the address is 1234 Defoor Village Ct. and you can get a 2 bedroom there for about a grand. Hope this helps.
Johnny

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah...I've been wondering the same thing. Last week I was told by Dr. Roaf that we should have our financial aid by this week. So that makes me think that we should at least have something by...May 20 at the latest? (I HOPE)
I know we were emailed the budget, did you get that?

Hi Guys - This is Jonathan one of your new classmates at MSM starting in July! Anybody heard anything on Financial Aid yet? Is it normal that it's May and still I don't know what I can count on as far as government funds/loans, etc. other than my own money? Please reply if anybody is thinking like me.

Hi everyone,
I'm not accepted yet to the c/o 2015 but I am waitlisted and accepted to the summer MD program. We are scheduled to start June 6th and go through August 2nd so I'm sure we'll get to meet each other. I'm not sure if we will still take classes together since we are starting at different times but we'll see I guess. Enjoy your summer, mine has been cut short lol.

Hey Scorpiomd,
I was accepted to the summer MD program too!! I cant wait to see and meet everyone in the MD class as well!!!!! I am so excited!!!

I'm in. Received the news on Thursday. I'm honored to embark on this journey with so many talented people. I look forward to meeting you all in July.