most competitive specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digimon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've matched, and am kind of out of the loop. which specialties are considered the toughest matches this year? which are having an upswing? a buddy of mine claims that anesthesia is becoming tougher these days....he claims it's becoming the next "rad onc." is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not agree with your friend.There are so many anesthesia residecies relative to rad onc that this is not likely to be the case.This year there were a good number of anes slots that went unfilled.If a respectable applicant applies to a broad range of programs without regard to geography and includes community problems they should be ok.Yes at the top level places competition may well become more intense.

Most Competive (In no particular order)
Ortho
Urology
ENT
Radiology
Rad-Onc
Derm
Plastic Surgery
Optho

Getting Competitive/Mildly Competitive
Anesthesia
General Surgery (at top programs)
PM&R
Emergency Medicine

Not Competive:
Psych, Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Peds, Ob/Gyn, Path

However, it's still competitive to get the top programs within the easy fields.

Watch for big spikes in Path, PM&R, Anesthesia - lifestyle fields on the horizon.

For some reason General Surgery had a rough year too (80 hour workweek wooing people back into it).

Misperception that Surgery had a bad match. The vast majority of the unfilled spots were prelims. Categoricals had a 90 something percent fill rate this year.

I think if you are looking at a Top 10 program in any of the 'noncompetitive' fields, you will have to be a very 'competitive' candidate.

Agree in increasing future interest in Gas, Path, PM&R. Lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle.

Add to most competitive: Neurosurgery

Add to non competitive, but could increase in competitiveness (to mildly competitive) in future: Neurology (The number of vacancies has decreased significantly in last few yrs)