most embarrassing moment at an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifailedmytest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what was the most embarrassing moment at an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have one, I couldn't pronounce "extracurricular" (I was so nervous). Tried it four times and then nervous laughter...and then moved on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both were great stories and good luck at the interview

I have one, I couldn't pronounce "extracurricular" (I was so nervous). Tried it four times and then nervous laughter...and then moved on.

Haha I'm a foreigner, I know how you feel! Hope they won't ask me anything where I'd have to use "vocabulary"!

I hope I don't have any at my first interview! lol

this wasnt involving me but my group had an individual spill his cup of water all over the interviewers notes and binder. I felt so bad for him, but it kind of made the whole process a bit easier on the rest of us in the group :smuggrin:

in group: one guy asked to borrow a pen when we were explicitly told in writing to come with a pen - he was reprimanded. one guy was wearing white socks with his black suit.

well, i stepped on one of my interviewer's shoes during the interview lol... it was a tiny table, and both were sitting basically right infront of me... still got accepted tho hehe

Nervous on 1st interview.

I was giving my opinion on a scenario, and then in a sudden, I went blank. then I asked him to repeat the question. :D

The interviewer at USC told me he didn't believe my answer. Still got accepted though! :D

Haha what was your question/answer if I may ask?

He asked me what were some positive and negative aspects of pharmacy. I already expected this question since I looked at the interview feedback section. I told him a negative was that pharmacists don't get respect/deserve more respect. So I go onto explain and he says, "I don't believe that you were able to get that from the year or so of experience you have in the pharmacy. And also, I don't think your pharmacist told you that." It was worse. He goes on to ask me another question, and he ends it with "Now I want the truth okay?"

Members don't see this ad :)
He asked me what were some positive and negative aspects of pharmacy. I already expected this question since I looked at the interview feedback section. I told him a negative was that pharmacists don't get respect/deserve more respect. So I go onto explain and he says, "I don't believe that you were able to get that from the year or so of experience you have in the pharmacy. And also, I don't think your pharmacist told you that." It was worse. He goes on to ask me another question, and he ends it with "Now I want the truth okay?"
Yikes. I would have felt awful after the interview, but it's good that you got in :). I don't know why he wouldn't believe you, anyway.. your answer doesn't necessarily have to be based on what your pharmacist actually told you, but on what you personally think. But then again, now that you're in, it's all good. :p

this wasnt involving me but my group had an individual spill his cup of water all over the interviewers notes and binder. I felt so bad for him, but it kind of made the whole process a bit easier on the rest of us in the group :smuggrin:

HAHA Dang, that stinks.

Hey guys, just wondering what was the most embarrassing moment at an interview?

Here's a classic... my friend told me: the interviewer put him on the spot: Tell me one negative thing about pharmacy.....NOW! and it was his first interview. He blanked out and roll his eyes way back. "The negative..uhh...thing..uhh pharmacy about now...ummm..is that..uhh I think um it's not too...ummm much communication...pause....between pharmacist. and pause.. he thought I finish the question and move on so he thought I was on drug. LoL He said,"I see that you took your medication this morning" LMAO still today. Of course I saw a rejection letter soon after."

Why not medical school?

I don't like people...I don't like people coughing on me...umm...I'm a germaphobe! :scared:

The interviewers look at me like this :eyebrow:

I leave and say FML! :bang:

I really didn't mean it to come out like that.

Ugh, that sounds downright terrible. This is an interview, not an interrogation.

You guys are gonna give me nightmares.. and I'm not even applying until next cycle.

You guys are gonna give me nightmares.. and I'm not even applying until next cycle.

You'll know what to expect then. If they tell you about mistakes and you learn to avoid them, it will only be to your advantage.

You'll know what to expect then. If they tell you about mistakes and you learn to avoid them, it will only be to your advantage.

Yeah I hear ya. I've already learned a ton of helpful tips just from browsing the forums for a couple days. I'm sure I'll still be incredibly nervous though haha.

"if you caught someone cheating what would you do? would you tell your professor?"

ethics vs reality

i told them the truth, sprinkled some sugar on top, and hoped for the best... unfortunately i walked out kicking myself; ive seen plenty of people cheat during my undergrad and i honestly have never told on anyone; i would go as far as telling the person that cheating is morally wrong, but i've yet to tell a professor;

then they read me their school code on cheating: "you are on the same level as the cheater if you are aware of it and you don't tell anyone" FML! :bang:

my composure changed so quick; so do i stick with the truth or change my answer?... i tried staying with it and said that in absolute honesty, i still wouldnt (although it didn't come out as smoothly as i wanted); a few "umms" and "uhhs" later, one of my interviewers raised the stakes; he said suppose it was one of my close friends that i caught cheating and it was in PHARMACY school... :scared:... "well...." i tried to keep with my initial answer and stated that i would talk to and advise the person (the sugarcoat isnt sweet enough!) but ultimately still wouldnt tell the professor;

again they raised it up "suppose your ENTIRE class was cheating and they told you not to tell? would you tell then?" i was ready to cry and run out; i looked like a dying dog in there and i knew they knew it too!

a few close friends who also interviewed here said it was a very relaxing interview; couldn't help but think about all the BS answers they told me they gave for each question; i kept thinking about how it related to this very situation! ironic;

i stayed truthful through the entire thing; kept me tense the rest of the interview; im still awaiting a response from them but at this point, im not too optimistic about the results; i nearly broke down after; it was very embarrassing;

Last edited:
I actually cried during my interview.

They asked me what was the hardest things I had gone through in my life. It was one of their prompts that they had written down and had to ask. I talked about how it was my father recently passing away. This required a rather drawn out answer and eventually I started tearing up. I didn't start hysterically crying but there were definitely tears. If it was something I only briefly mentioned it wouldn't have been a problem, but that was a prompt and required a longer response. My interviewers were really nice and gave me tissues. And the worst thing was, that was one of the first questions they asked me. So for the rest of the interview I was still halfway teary and I felt horrible (usually you do after you cry) and I felt that affected the rest of the interview. There was nothing exactly shameful about the situation (I'm sure they were understanding) but yeah, don't cry on your interview.

LOL that happened at my interview group too! A few of us used notebook paper to try and soak up a bit of it before the paper towels arrived. I felt bad for him.

umm we might have been in the same group ROFL

dec. 11?

LOL that happened at my interview group too! A few of us used notebook paper to try and soak up a bit of it before the paper towels arrived. I felt bad for him.

lol best ice breaker ever.

I actually cried during my interview.

They asked me what was the hardest things I had gone through in my life. It was one of their prompts that they had written down and had to ask. I talked about how it was my father recently passing away. This required a rather drawn out answer and eventually I started tearing up. I didn't start hysterically crying but there were definitely tears. If it was something I only briefly mentioned it wouldn't have been a problem, but that was a prompt and required a longer response. My interviewers were really nice and gave me tissues. And the worst thing was, that was one of the first questions they asked me. So for the rest of the interview I was still halfway teary and I felt horrible (usually you do after you cry) and I felt that affected the rest of the interview. There was nothing exactly shameful about the situation (I'm sure they were understanding) but yeah, don't cry on your interview.

There is nothing embarrassing with what happened to you, Its hard losing someone especially a parent. I am sorry to hear about your dad

"if you caught someone cheating what would you do? would you tell your professor?"

ethics vs reality

i told them the truth, sprinkled some sugar on top, and hoped for the best... unfortunately i walked out kicking myself; ive seen plenty of people cheat during my undergrad and i honestly have never told on anyone; i would go as far as telling the person that cheating is morally wrong, but i've yet to tell a professor;

then they read me their school code on cheating: "you are on the same level as the cheater if you are aware of it and you don't tell anyone" FML! :bang:

my composure changed so quick; so do i stick with the truth or change my answer?... i tried staying with it and said that in absolute honesty, i still wouldnt (although it didn't come out as smoothly as i wanted); a few "umms" and "uhhs" later, one of my interviewers raised the stakes; he said suppose it was one of my close friends that i caught cheating and it was in PHARMACY school... :scared:... "well...." i tried to keep with my initial answer and stated that i would talk to and advise the person (the sugarcoat isnt sweet enough!) but ultimately still wouldnt tell the professor;

again they raised it up "suppose your ENTIRE class was cheating and they told you not to tell? would you tell then?" i was ready to cry and run out; i looked like a dying dog in there and i knew they knew it too!

a few close friends who also interviewed here said it was a very relaxing interview; couldn't help but think about all the BS answers they told me they gave for each question; i kept thinking about how it related to this very situation! ironic;

i stayed truthful through the entire thing; kept me tense the rest of the interview; im still awaiting a response from them but at this point, im not too optimistic about the results; i nearly broke down after; it was very embarrassing;

You're a brave soul. I think this is one of those questions where you can't really be very creative in your response. Just tell them what they want to hear. Hopefully they take honesty into consideration when tallying up the final scores. Best of luck!

I don't know if this is "embarassing" but a guy at my interview last year answered to the question of "Why this particular pharmacy school?" that he "was rejected from 2 other schools already and thought I should try this one."

Way to go champ :thumbup:

You're a brave soul. I think this is one of those questions where you can't really be very creative in your response. Just tell them what they want to hear. Hopefully they take honesty into consideration when tallying up the final scores. Best of luck!

I would have to disagree with you guys on those ethics questions. A lot of people assume "tell them what they want to hear" or "give them the book answer" is the way to go.

Problem is, there is no answer they are looking for. What those questions are meant to do is to force you to vocally evaluate a situation and TELL THEM BOTH OPTIONS that are in front of you. Evaluate the pros and cons of each side, and then pick one and explain why. That ensures that even if you picked the answer that for example doesn't match the school code, they know you at least realized that the other side of the argument still exists. Can't go wrong with an answer like that, and it works.

That is Fing hilarious :rofl:!! He deserves a spot just because he was so honest lol

That is Fing hilarious :rofl:!! He deserves a spot just because he was so honest lol

He did get a spot. I saw him at my orientation, and now he's in my class. First thought I had was "You gotta be %#$#@^ kidding me... :eek: "

He did get a spot. I saw him at my orientation, and now he's in my class. First thought I had was "You gotta be %#$#@^ kidding me... :eek: "

That guy has brass balls thats all I can say:thumbup:

Some people have told me that certain schools make their interviewers squirm in order to see how they react under stress. I'm generally really calm, but when I get extremely nervous I start laughing a little. I probably would have laughed when the interviewer started messing with me, assuming they said it in a semi joking manner. It's bad though because I don't want to seem ditzy or giggly, but sometimes I just can't help but laugh nervously. If they were being really serious and acted like they were honestly mad then I'm not sure what I would do except continue answering their questions as best as I could. I'm going to my first interview in 2 weeks, but I hear they're very nice so I'm hoping for the southern hospitality! LOL I do well when it is just a casual conversation, etc. I am going to keep in mind that some schools want to see your reaction under different circumstances though, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself if I go to any schools and they're tough on me.

I don't know if this is "embarassing" but a guy at my interview last year answered to the question of "Why this particular pharmacy school?" that he "was rejected from 2 other schools already and thought I should try this one."

Way to go champ :thumbup:

At least he was being honest...:rolleyes:

Some people have told me that certain schools make their interviewers squirm in order to see how they react under stress.
Last year I was reading a book about how to prepare for medical school interviews. The author had gone through medical school recently so he knew the process. The author somehow heard one story that an interviewer asked a prospect (not the author, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't at the schools he was interviewing at) how much do you masturbate :eek: The prospect answered not as much as I deserve :laugh::laugh:

Last year I was reading a book about how to prepare for medical school interviews. The author had gone through medical school recently so he knew the process. The author somehow heard one story that an interviewer asked a prospect (not the author, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't at the schools he was interviewing at) how much do you masturbate :eek: The prospect answered not as much as I deserve :laugh::laugh:

OMG! :rofl::rofl::rofl:That's really funny... I would die if someone asked me that in an interview but I think it would help break the ice. Interviews can be intimidating.

OMG! :rofl::rofl::rofl:That's really funny... I would die if someone asked me that in an interview but I think it would help break the ice. Interviews can be intimidating.
I think the same book said an admissions committee also asked a woman how she would handle touching male private parts if she had a spouse. Or something like that. The book said that med school interview ask sometimes shocking questions to make you uncomfortable.

I really hope no one asks me either of those questions when I interview. I think I would literally die of embarrassment on the spot. I would literally:boom:

I interviewed with a girl who had the store tags still on her jacket. Virtually EVERYONE noticed it by the end of the day but she seemed completely oblivious.

After I finished my interview with the interviewer, I met with the director of admissions and he said" This is the ultimate question, what was the name of your interviewer?" I had no idea and she had told me her name twice.:scared:

yea exsomnis, I was the freakishly tall kid who sat at the end =] haha, im assuming you got in?

haha thats funny and sad at the same time :p

yea exsomnis, I was the freakishly tall kid who sat at the end =] haha, im assuming you got in?

Yep! And I'm ecstatic because it's my first choice! haha. I remember you! You were talking about sports, maybe football? I was so sick I slept for three days after I got home.

See you in the fall?

that you will :) it was hockey...die hard blackhawks fan >_>

hopefully many of our other classmates will join me and we can scream at the tv together haha

They asked me what I would do if I didn't get in. I had expected this question so I started rambling about the things I would do. By the time I was done with my answer, my interviewer goes, so you would apply again? I totally forgot to say I would reapply and jumped right into what I would do to boost my application :p

Do interviewers take kindly to some humor here or there? Because my response to the not getting in question would be "have you ever seen that movie 'Falling Down' with Michael Douglas?"

So back in the day as an undergraduate engineer, I had interviews for internships every day of the week. My last one of the week fell on a Friday morning at a ridiculously early hour of 8:00 AM. By that time I was exhausted from the corporate bs. It was some obscure company, so I approached it as such and did literally no research on them. I walked in there half-awake only to find that it was a panel interview headed by three of their employees. Their first question was what do we do. I about laughed and nearly walked out of the room. But I can't really remember much or what we talked about for the rest of it. I just remember that I went back to bed and had a good nap with no worries :laugh:.

My most embarrassing...

Replying "my teeth!" When asked "If there was something about you that you could change, what would it be?"

Or even worse, when I was interviewing for grad school, I was asked by my interviewer (who also happened to be the head of the program I was applying to), "I see you applied to medical, pharmacy, and grad school. How am I to know that you really want to come here?" I totally blanked on the question, hmm'ed and haw'ed, and, of course, was summarily rejected.