Most fun surgical specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zer0el

Sports Junkie
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm an M2 who's exploring the option of going into a surgical field. I don't know where to begin to narrow down which specialty to pursue (shadowing every single specialty would take too much time), so I was hoping to get some input as to what specialties feature the most exciting and enjoyable surgical procedures. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people. Just as I might say Ortho is exciting and Vascular is horrible, there will be someone else who feels just the opposite.

Choosing a field is much more complicated than just how exciting and enjoyable it is (although obviously thats a big one). Besides enjoying the surgeries, do you like the people who have chosen that field, how is the lifestyle (ie, if you have a family and hate emergencies, Vascular or CT surgery might not be the best choice), etc.

You're right - you can't shadow every field, but when you rotate on Surgery next year you will get a feel for some of the above. Unfortunately, there is no way to really know what Urology, ENT, CT Surgery, etc is like without doing it. If you find that during your basic science years you were most interested in the cardiovascular system and hated genitourinary, that might lead you in the direction of CT Surgery vs Urology. You may even find that Surgery AT ALL isn't for you once you've done your clinical rotations. Another completely different field of medicine may strike your fancy.

Read about the different fields, talk to as many practitioners as you can and keep an open mind about all of medicine, not just surgery.

It's been unquestionably proven that the most fun surgical specialty is a multi-millionaire plastic surgeon in or around the Beverley Hills area. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Misterioso said:
It's been unquestionably proven that the most fun surgical specialty is a multi-millionaire plastic surgeon in or around the Beverley Hills area. :thumbup:
Yeah...dealing with those needy & high-maintenance patients is tons of fun....give me the indigent population any day.

Reactions: 1 user
toofache32 said:
Yeah...dealing with those needy & high-maintenance patients is tons of fun....give me the indigent population any day.

The indigent population aren't going to pay for the yacht and trophy wife(s)!

DAMN!

Talk about some quality T&A. Well, actually I can't see much ass. Someone find some other pics of her quick..!

kthnx

you know what my answer is....