most important

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifelover

pre-med student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am entering my senior year of undergrad in september and more than anything I want to work in a medical field. I want to work with people to help them live healthier and happier lives. I know that sounds kind of cheesy but that is simply what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I have been set on applying to medical school but I know that it is a huge commitment, as is any healthcare related field but particularly medical school because of the long education. I have also been interested in applying to PA programs because I think it terms of starting a family that might be a better option for me. I respect both profressions so much and would be honored to be accepted and complete either but I also know that when it comes down to it I see myself with a husband and a few kids. And I think with each profession it is possible and I think with either one I would be happy. Are there any mothers out there who are either PAs or physicians who were in my position and can tell me what made them choose their path? That would be great! Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

How rude....

well, what I know is that PAs dont have to work as long as MDs/DOs but they have almost the same responsibility (experts please correct me if I'm wrong). It also depends, some doctors work 10 hr shifts but I think it depends on their specialization also.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is that rude? I am being completely honest and all I want to do is be good at what I do in the future. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, maybe I worded myself wrong, but doesn't everyone in this forum want to involve themselves with medicine in the way that is best for them? It would just be nice to get some advice as I am trying to figure that our for myself. Again I apologize if I was wrong.

Could give you a very accurate account, but not a mother. Sorry.

oh that's ok. Do you mind if I ask you where you did your PA program and and how long after your undergrad did you do it?

I would suggest a clinic job with no call. If more concerned about compensation, a subspecialty clinic that can bill for "office services", specifivcally those that the PA can perform to increase revenue (And negotiate for a bonus based on that, of course). I went to PA school when I was in my early 30's. Was a respiratory therapist, Navy corpsman, and had a music degree. I went to an Old State School (Cheap) in the Midwest. Old and cheap is a good combo. You don't need to go to Emory or Duke to be a good PA. The older the program, the more networking possibilities.

"well, what I know is that PAs dont have to work as long as MDs/DOs but they have almost the same responsibility "
nev-if you mean they don't have to work as long IN SCHOOL you would be correct. if you mean their shifts aren't as long you would be wrong. many pa's work shifts as long or longer than their physician colleagues. most of the docs in my group work 8 hr shifts. the pa's do 10, 12, and 16 hr shifts. I am doing a 16 today and a 13 tomorrow......

wow....thats a lot of hours! :eek:

nev said:
wow....thats a lot of hours! :eek:

Or normal if you're coming from EMS :p .

Jambi said:
Or normal if you're coming from EMS :p .
yup- I used to do 10 24's a month as a medic so this is much easier.....
I have a buddy in alaska who does month on month off. he is on 24/7 the entire month on.....

Can PAs do research specifically in oncology/hematology?

Are there any PA/Phd programs anywhere? Or would I have to do them separately

There are several PA research jobs. It is an established field in which some PAs choose to get a doctorate in the sciences as well. Not sure if there are any Phd research PA programs, per se.

lifelover said:
Can PAs do research specifically in oncology/hematology?

MD Anderson Cancer Center here in Houston, TX is the #1 cancer hospital in the world & it also employs more PAs than any other institution in the Houston Medical Center. They have well over 100 PAs there & the environment is extremely supportive of the physician assistant profession.

They also have a post-graduate residency program that you can find out more about at http://www.appap.org
You would have plenty of opportunities to be involved in ground-breaking research there.

Take care. :)

MD Anderson (Houston, TX) is a major hub for MidLevel research jobs. They can even combine a bit of clinical with that too, if you like. Starting is 67-75K based on experience with an aggressive advancement program. They love new grads, too.