Most Meaningful Activity Question (Not sure if the start date is suspicious)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLORIDA07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am applying this upcoming cycle and wanted advice about one of my choices for the most meaningful experiences. I will be volunteering full time as a Medical Spanish interpreter starting the beginning of May through a program at my university. This is the final part of a program where I first had to take classes.

The reasoning behind starting this stems from my experience as a Latino and interpreting for family members in multiple settings. I can remember its impact as someone who could speak both languages, especially in clinical settings where Google translate fell extremely short at capturing someone’s full meaning. Would it look weird that the start date is in May? I know I have not started it yet but my reasoning behind this means a lot to me.

I think in the initial 700 characters I could describe my motivations behind pursuing this, the general overview, and the classes I already took. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Having your "most meaningful experience" begin at the same time you are writing your application is not "suspicious", but rather is simply a poor decision. Sure, include it in your app, but there must be other activities that you have done that you will be able to better discuss how you learned and grew from that experience.

Hello everyone! I am applying this upcoming cycle and wanted advice about one of my choices for the most meaningful experiences. I will be volunteering full time as a Medical Spanish interpreter starting the beginning of May through a program at my university. This is the final part of a program where I first had to take classes.

The reasoning behind starting this stems from my experience as a Latino and interpreting for family members in multiple settings. I can remember its impact as someone who could speak both languages, especially in clinical settings where Google translate fell extremely short at capturing someone’s full meaning. Would it look weird that the start date is in May? I know I have not started it yet but my reasoning behind this means a lot to me.

I think in the initial 700 characters I could describe my motivations behind pursuing this, the general overview, and the classes I already took. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I am not going to call it a poor decision, per se. But I will say that you should pick something different.

There has to be something else on your application that you have already spent tons of hours in, and can say that you learned and grew from.

It seems like the activity that you are speaking of, will be such a great activity that you will be able to write about it in such a way that everyone who reads it will understand how passionate you are about it - which will suffice. You could also spend one sentence at the end of it, even if it isnt your "most meaningful" activity and say, "This would be my most meaningful activity if I had the opportunity to put more hours into this before the submission of my application."