Most realistic books for MCAT preperation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishyTheFish

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I noticed that I've been getting different results when using different prep books, especially on the verbal reasoning section.

When using Barron's MCAT prep I normally got around 3 wrong per passage in the verbal reasoning section, whereas Princeton Review's MCAT Verbal Reasoning prep book yielded only ~1 wrong per passage. This leads to my question: What is the most realistic prep book for each of the MCAT sections?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general consensus for materials to use that I have gathered from SDN is this:

VR: EK all the way
Gchem: TBR
Ochem: TBR
Bio: TBR + some EK
Physics: TBR

I think the general consensus for materials to use that I have gathered from SDN is this:

VR: EK all the way
Gchem: TBR
Ochem: TBR
Bio: TBR + some EK
Physics: TBR

VR: TPR is very good as well.

for Bio: study using EK practice using TBR.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Members don't see this ad :)
For verbal, I used TPR VR workbook/EK 101. You see harder/longer passages in TPR, but harder/trickier questions in EK101. It's good to get a balance so that you'll be ready for anything on the mcat.