Motivation Statement for HPSP Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJEMT1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am working on my application for the Army. Any suggestions for the motivation statement? What type of things are they looking for? Is this like writing a personal statement for a college or med school application? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

community pride, a sense of teamwork are always good things. They like family history/tradition. If you have relatives in the army I would mention that.

Originally posted by texdrake
community pride, a sense of teamwork are always good things. They like family history/tradition. If you have relatives in the army I would mention that.

My father has worked for the DoD as a "civilian" firefighter/EMT, always at an army base. I think this is a bonus for me, but the AF or Navy may not care. What do you guys thinK?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember, it was optional, and I didn't make one. None of my colleagues remember making one. Mind you I'm talking 1988 here.

Unless things have changed a lot in terms of the quality of applicants, if you can get into medical school, you will get a scholarship. Recruiters always tells you how competitive it is when in reality the only hard part is getting the paperwork filled out and following up on their part to make sure they do their work.

I know two students who weren't awarded the HPSP for two years in a row. Write on what qualties you have like leadership, integrity, honor, selfless service etc..that would help you succeed as a military physician. Although it isn't nearly competitive as your recruiter may lead you to believe you still need to stand out a little to be awarded. Good luck to you.

HPSP (4 year recipient) MS II

Thanks for the help!!