Mount Sinai (ERAS ranking game)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levim1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

If you are kind enough to help a brazilian friend who is getting more and more confused on what to do with his ranking as time goes by, I would love the input.

I'm applying for pathology, got a good number of interviews, went to most of them already, but I'm going to spare you the details and just give you the ones that would be able to sponsor me a working visa, H1B, which I find essential.
They are: Mount Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin College of Medicine, NIH (i've been there as a student and I loved it, but it's AP only), Albert Einstein and (maybe) Indiana. I'm waitlisted at methodist and they would sponsor me one too.

I really liked most of them; loved Cleveland Clinic, but didn't like Cleveland... I haven't been to Albert Einstein and Indiana yet, but as it stands, I'm considering Mount Sinai because of the New York city factor and they sponsor housing, which is nice... but I'm not sure that's the right move.

I don't know the weight and prestige that those places have compared to each other and which would look better in my resumé. I imagine CCF is the strongest name here.... but mostly I would appreciate any information regarding those places, their environment, opportunities after residency... scutwork and all. Any details that we sometimes cannot access on interviews... and personal preferences if you would be willing to justify them.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on the programs since I didn't go to any of them, but lifestyle-wise, there are some big differences. New York and DC are huge cities, with high cost of living and high density. Cleveland is an older city, slowly coming back to life after some rough economic times. I don't know what city the WCoM is in, but Madison is a classic college town and Milwaukee is a neat midwestern city based on my time there.

By the way, props for (in writing at least) great English skills. They will serve you well in residency and practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Cleveland Clinic would look best on your CV.
Can I ask why you don't want to stay in Brazil and practice Pathology there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I want to train here and I want to experience the academic settings in the U.S for sometime after my residency.
In Brazil (great country by the way) I would need to have 1 job in private practice atop of my university position and there are absolutely no funds for research (I know you guys complain, but it's not even the same ball game we are talking about). Overall, I think I'm going to be able to grow more here as a person and a physician. If it were only about money or location, trust me, I would have stayed: there's no place like Brazil ;)