Mount Sinai vs NYU MPH, plus medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inde

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my wife and I have always wanted to go to NYC, and she has always wanted to work in the medical field. Applied for medschool last year, but alas no success.

So she applied and we have acceptances for both Sinai and NYU MPH. My question is - which is better, both as a stand alone progra, and which would be better as a stepping stone to getting into medschool (of course provided she does very well).

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody nobody?

if your question is which of the two schools will better prepare you for medical school, then i'm not sure.
if your question is which of the two program will increase your chances of being admitted to medical schools, then no one of them, inherently; admissions policies differ between schools, but most (ie. generally speaking; there may be some exceptions) look at undergraduate gpa, pre-req gpa, and MCAT scores. These are (overwhelmingly) the most important criteria and are followed by other, secondary criteria, including interview performance, extra-curricular experiences (including volunteering), strength of personal statements and essays, letters of recommendation, work experience, publications, research experience etc. Schools differ widely on how much weight is given to these "other criteria." Your graduate work will fall under the "others" list; it shows academic maturity and commitment to health sciences, but will not instantly make you more competitive, despite undergrad/pre-req GPAs and MCAT scores substantially below par. I'm guessing you knew much of this already, but I hope it helps anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fan of the Leafs? :)

Yeah it was more towards which one is a better MPH program (on its own merit) and which one better prepares for medschool.

I'm in the same predicament now- may I ask what she decided and the outcome?

Have you considered doing post-bacc work to strengthen the app, applying to medical school, and completing a combined MD/MPH? x