Mount Sinai vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drflamingo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In most cases I would say Yale, but being close to your family at a school that won’t hold you back from any career opportunities is priceless. Go Sinai!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only thing I’ll add here is that New Haven is pretty close to NYC (and surrounding areas like NJ and Long Island). Very easy for weekend visits, and given the educational philosophy and curriculum, it wouldn’t be hard to do weekday visits either.

Only thing I’ll add here is that New Haven is pretty close to NYC (and surrounding areas like NJ and Long Island). Very easy for weekend visits, and given the educational philosophy and curriculum, it wouldn’t be hard to do weekday visits either.

Agreed - I was able to visit my SO in Manhattan every 2-3 weeks while at Yale, except during clerkships when I visited once a month. And we have no clinical requirements during fourth year, so I basically lived in NY for that year.

Just got my financial aid package from Yale and it looks like Yale will be $15,000 cheaper/yr. Yale also offered me subsidized loans, which Sinai did not. There's also the added security that if my dad does lose his job (which seems very likely at this point), my family won't be expected to contribute towards my COA at Yale. Given how little aid Sinai has given students this year, I don't think that will be the case at Sinai. The cost considerations are definitely pulling me towards Yale.

>Just got my financial aid package from Yale and it looks like Yale will be $15,000 cheaper/yr. Yale also offered me subsidized loans, which Sinai did not.

I think with this info, you've gotta go with Yale. That's a significantly lower cost, and a much lower financial risk given your father's situation. As others have commented, Yale's system gives you a lot of leeway to see your family on the weekends, so while location may not be perfect, I don't think it's significantly worse.

It's not everyone who gets a scholarship to attend one of the best med schools around. Take the money, go to Yale, and don't look back, brother.

You want to be somewhere where you think you will succeed academically, and it sounds like Yale will do that for you. Your pros for Sinai are the location, and that it is P/F, which is also the case at New Haven.

Both great options! If I were in your shoes, I would probably lean Sinai because being 20 min from family would be really important to me, plus having all the opportunities of NYC. People say that we're the closest non-Yale school to the Yale system: online preclinical exams that you can complete over the weekend (literally from anywhere: my friend was at a wedding in India for 3 weeks during med school, hardly missed a thing bc of podcasted lectures!), no class rank, and tons of research opportunities. That's not to say your chances of meeting a special someone in NYC are definitely infinitely times higher :love: