Mount Sinal School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathresident2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard their AP/CP program will be on probation. Anybody can confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, anyone can confirm. If enough time has passed that it makes it to the website, a pretty simple search can be performed from:

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

If it's official but for some reason hasn't made it to the website, directly contacting ACGME about the status of a program will get you an answer. If you're just talking about rumors, however, you can try any other source available.

Well, they are likely to be put on probation considering all the antics that they had pulled. Their residency evaluations are ****ty enough for the ACGME to want to investigate. Of course, on the local level at the hospital I have heard of lots of retaliation and coercions by the 'powers that be' to railroad residents that they don't like. Apparently, people have had to complain directly to various organizations, including the ACGME, to protect themselves and prevent further abuse. Although, the presumed identification of an individual resident as "problem" can lead to some hairy situations and problems, including targeted abuse from the top-down. In effect, fear and lack of teaching is ingrained into the culture and minimum effort is made to assist residents in obtaining appropriate level of competency after 3 or 4 years. All in all, it's a darn shame but most people just try to get out of the mess and salvage what dignity and sanity they have during the 3-4 years by keeping their head down and keeping their perspective intact by having a life outside of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, they are likely to be put on probation considering all the antics that they had pulled. Their residency evaluations are ****ty enough for the ACGME to want to investigate. Of course, on the local level at the hospital I have heard of lots of retaliation and coercions by the 'powers that be' to railroad residents that they don't like. Apparently, people have had to complain directly to various organizations, including the ACGME, to protect themselves and prevent further abuse. Although, the presumed identification of an individual resident as "problem" can lead to some hairy situations and problems, including targeted abuse from the top-down. In effect, fear and lack of teaching is ingrained into the culture and minimum effort is made to assist residents in obtaining appropriate level of competency after 3 or 4 years. All in all, it's a darn shame but most people just try to get out of the mess and salvage what dignity and sanity they have during the 3-4 years by keeping their head down and keeping their perspective intact by having a life outside of work.

if you don't mind, what are your sources of information about "fear and lack of teaching?" from first-hand experience, i would have to say that is the opposite of the department- the attendings are generally friendly with open-door policies and more than willing to teach..

I hear the department is large and there is high volume. It's an AP heavy program. Sounds like a busy program.

Pathresident2..what is your evidence for this statement? You originated this thread and then a few months later come up with this conclusion?

Anyway, the prior Chair for MSSM was Al Schiller who is awesome. MSSM just appointed a new Chair, and that may change the environment. At least, that is worth a question to those who will be interviewing there in the future.

http://www.mssm.edu/departments-and...t-us/news/pathology-department-gets-new-chair

Anyway, the prior Chair for MSSM was Al Schiller who is awesome. MSSM just appointed a new Chair, and that may change the environment.

Agree, Schiller is awesome (he was one of our guest lecturers this past year). Hopefully the new chair will be just as excellent or come in with a fresh perspective that adds its own benefit to the department.

disagree with above statement!

don't go to mount sinai under any circumstances for pathology training. you will hear words like dysfunctional family etc thrown around all the time. the place is too disorganized and if you are looking for a program that helps you succeed and become a good pathologist... don't go to sinai.

Last edited:
... does anyone else have anything to contribute? pm me.

Last edited:
Agree, Schiller is awesome (he was one of our guest lecturers this past year). Hopefully the new chair will be just as excellent or come in with a fresh perspective that adds its own benefit to the department.

nope. no. morally bankrupt, just like the other one you mentioned. is your residency program situated in space?

the leadership is completely corrupt to the core. pm me if you want more info!

i don't know where to start, man! the former chair (schiller) was kicked out. the current chair is simply incompetent. the current program director retired in 1999 from the practice of medicine but is somehow made the program director. they are letting these dim wits run the show.

Last edited: