Mouthwash/Oral Rinse before surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gas

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Efficacy of Various Oral Rinses against SARS-CoV-2

One of my partners came across this article. Anyone having patients do mouthwash/oral rinse before surgery? Seems like a simple thing to help with Covid, so we will probably institute it at our hospital. I couldn't find any guidance from the ASA or previous threads about it, so wondering what everyone is doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Efficacy of Various Oral Rinses against SARS-CoV-2

One of my partners came across this article. Anyone having patients do mouthwash/oral rinse before surgery? Seems like a simple thing to help with Covid, so we will probably institute it at our hospital. I couldn't find any guidance from the ASA or previous threads about it, so wondering what everyone is doing.

So the thought is that it will decrease viral aerosolizarion and transmission when doing AGP?

Members don't see this ad :)
They make me rinse with mouthwash at the dentist’s office.
Othewise the smell is unbearable? ;)

I begin to think most of us will be infected. Hopefully viral load is low enough not to get sick but gain some immunity.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So the thought is that it will decrease viral aerosolizarion and transmission when doing AGP?

Yes, that is the theory. Article says the mouthwashes are great at killing viruses, but not clear whether that translates into decreased transmission. One would think it does - at least the downsides to oral rinse are minimal.

With some of the nasty mouths I've seen, I think mouthwash should be mandatory by default.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, that is the theory. Article says the mouthwashes are great at killing viruses, but not clear whether that translates into decreased transmission. One would think it does - at least the downsides to oral rinse are minimal.

Depends where the virus is. In the mouth? I thought it was present in much higher amounts jn the airway

Reactions: 1 user
With some of the nasty mouths I've seen, I think mouthwash should be mandatory by default.
I wonder what the rates of infective endocarditis would be if every pt undergoing surgery got a 15 minute dental rehab by a dentist. I'm sure they would love the cash flow.