Movement Disorders & DBS Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Neuron

Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in Clinical Movement Disorders Fellowships that involve training in DBS as well in North America. I prefer a program that provide all clinical skills (Botox & DBS) and has a good exposure to the full spectrum of movement disorders.

What are the best programs to consider now in 2024?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a thread on the first page with recommendations here.

Generally, any reputable movement program will provide clinical training in both DBS and Botox. The volume of each of these should be top of your list of questions when you're interviewing. The "top" programs differentiate themselves primarily in the number of faculty with more specific clinical and research niches (i.e. neuromodulation, autonomics, neurogenetics, neurodevelopmental) and in having senior faculty with labs available to mentor those who want to pursue research careers with K awards or equivalent.

There's a thread on the first page with recommendations here.

Generally, any reputable movement program will provide clinical training in both DBS and Botox. The volume of each of these should be top of your list of questions when you're interviewing. The "top" programs differentiate themselves primarily in the number of faculty with more specific clinical and research niches (i.e. neuromodulation, autonomics, neurogenetics, neurodevelopmental) and in having senior faculty with labs available to mentor those who want to pursue research careers with K awards or equivalent.
Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful.

There can be a major turnover in the faculty of Movement Disorders Programs. What are the top programs to provide DBS training currently so that trainees can schedule electives.

Members don't see this ad :)

There can be a major turnover in the faculty of Movement Disorders Programs. What are the top programs to provide DBS training currently so that trainees can schedule electives.
The linked thread is still quite valid for answering this question. The top programs don't change that much year to year and faculty turnover isn't that high.

I have asked current fellows from major centers this year (UCSF, Baylor, UF etc) and the general consensus is:

Fellowships specifically focused on DBS- UF, Emory, UCSF, Stanford, Vanderbilt.

Fellowships that have really strong movement faculty but focus on DBS is comparatively less: Baylor, WashU, Columbia (though Fahn retired), UCSD, U of Cincinnati. Baylor is doing a spinal cord stimulation trial if you’re interested in neuromodulation in general and not just DBS.

And then there are fellowships that are more niche (not necessarily DBS or general movement focused)- Mayo Rochester has excellent autoimmune movement for example.

Reactions: 1 users