Moving Mid Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevir

Reaction score
Hey all, I currently live in Wisconsin and submitted both my AACOMAS and AMCAS app. I recently discovered I need to move to Connecticut and plan to find a job there which means a few of my activities on my AACOMAS and AMCAS become irrelevant since I did write I will be working until next year in Wisconsin. I know I can update schools and also change my addresses on my apps but do any of you think this will negatively affect my application? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It won't negatively affect your application, so long as you can find similar activities to do in Connecticut. It will, however, threaten your ability to be considered for in-state tuition in Wisconsin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Following because I'm in a similar situation.

It won't negatively affect your application, so long as you can find similar activities to do in Connecticut. It will, however, threaten your ability to be considered for in-state tuition in Wisconsin.
Check page 22 of the AMCAS application guide for information.
Your state of residence at the time you submitted your application was Wisconsin.
See how Wisconsin schools handle this info. I know that for Texas schools your state of residence at the time of application is what counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check page 22 of the AMCAS application guide for information.
Your state of residence at the time you submitted your application was Wisconsin.
See how Wisconsin schools handle this info. I know that for Texas schools your state of residence at the time of application is what counts.

For my state: "To qualify for in-state tuition for a given term, you will be required by [state] law to prove that a bona fide domicile was established in [state] at least twelve months before the beginning of the term, that it was maintained continuously, and that you were physically present in the state during that time, and for purposes other than attending school."

The address on your AMCAS is not binding to schools in anyway, shape or form for either admissions preference or instate tuition.
Texas is an outlier in this as residency is decided by TMDSAS before any schools ever see your application. This is because Texas law states that at least 90% of matriculants must be state residents, the Texas Education Commission sets the criteria for residency, and TMDSAS is responsible to check that criteria is met. Because of the 90% rule, Texas historically has 92% IS matriculants
True, @gonnif.
I am sure there are as many state residency rules as there are states! In OP’s case even though they are moving primarily for work and not for school, they might not fulfill the new state’s residency duration rules by the time Med school begins.
As you said, though, this is not likely to have any big impact in the AMCAS application/ acceptance cycle and the details of what tuition rate the OP will pay will become clearer by then. Maybe they will get in to a school in neither of those 2 states!