Moving to Indiana for a year and establish residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

=w=

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m curious if anyone move to Indiana a year before first day of vet school to establish residency and eligible for IS tuition? I’m planing to move to Indiana this May and work full time there and start my 12 months lease. I already email the residency office about the requirement, but it will be great if I can chat with someone who did it before:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you already been accepted? Usually when you accept a non-resident seat you sign an agreement that you agree to pay non-resident tuition for the duration of vet school. There are exceptions for schools that allow you to change your residency status though.

If you’re not accepted yet, vet schools usually classify you based on your residency at the time of application. I was living in Georgia when I applied (but wasn’t originally from there), but to be considered for a resident seat I had to have been living in the state for 1+ years, have a GA license, and have been paying GA state taxes for a minimum of 1 year. That was at the time I hit submit on my application, not at the time of matriculation.

@sheltermed moved specifically to establish residency in a state with a vet school. So maybe she can chime in too :)

Reactions: 1 users
@EngrSC I took OP’s post to mean they were pre-vet or non-trad or on a gap year and moving to Indiana a year before applying in hopes of applying as an in-state person a year from now. I didn’t do that and none of my close friends did, but it was decently common at my school. People I knew from undergrad would take a gap year and work (and this pay Oklahoma taxes) and that would formally establish them as residents of Oklahoma. They’d apply as in-state students during their gap year because by the time of matriculation they’d have been working Oklahoma residents for an entire year. Oklahoma didn’t allow switching residency status any other way aside from marriage to an Oklahoma resident. If that is the case it’s good OP is already taking to the school to make sure they meet the Indiana requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
@JaynaAli gotcha gotcha, so then I guess it would depend on when the OP applies? :shrug:

Have you already been accepted? Usually when you accept a non-resident seat you sign an agreement that you agree to pay non-resident tuition for the duration of vet school. There are exceptions for schools that allow you to change your residency status though.

If you’re not accepted yet, vet schools usually classify you based on your residency at the time of application. I was living in Georgia when I applied (but wasn’t originally from there), but to be considered for a resident seat I had to have been living in the state for 1+ years, have a GA license, and have been paying GA state taxes for a minimum of 1 year. That was at the time I hit submit on my application, not at the time of matriculation.

@sheltermed moved specifically to establish residency in a state with a vet school. So maybe she can chime in too :)
Thank you for replying! No I haven’t been accepted yet, I’m planning to apply this cycle and I will move to Indiana early May, and hopefully(finger crossed) get an offer around March next year.

Thank you for replying! No I haven’t been accepted yet, I’m planning to apply this cycle and I will move to Indiana early May, and hopefully(finger crossed) get an offer around March next year.
Double check the residency rules for the state. You need to have residency status at the time of application for most states I believe - ie you have to live there for 12 months before you even submit your application to be considered a resident.

(Somebody feel free to fact check me on that, but I think that's how it works in most states)

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for the tag. I did this in Michigan and it worked-ish. I applied as a resident and got accepted in the in-state pool, but I was not granted in-state tuition which is the main idea. You are right that they classify you on your residency at the time of application. But the story might change for tuition purposes, as it's usually a different office (registrar in my case) that handles that.

ETA that I sent in an in-state tuition application to registrar unprompted. Just figured that I had to do it. It may very well be the case that if I hadn't said anything, I would have just gotten in-state tuition based on my address with no questions asked.

Reactions: 1 user
@EngrSC I took OP’s post to mean they were pre-vet or non-trad or on a gap year and moving to Indiana a year before applying in hopes of applying as an in-state person a year from now. I didn’t do that and none of my close friends did, but it was decently common at my school. People I knew from undergrad would take a gap year and work (and this pay Oklahoma taxes) and that would formally establish them as residents of Oklahoma. They’d apply as in-state students during their gap year because by the time of matriculation they’d have been working Oklahoma residents for an entire year. Oklahoma didn’t allow switching residency status any other way aside from marriage to an Oklahoma resident. If that is the case it’s good OP is already taking to the school to make sure they meet the Indiana requirements.

Good to know it is common at your school!! I will reconfirm with the admission office. Thank you so much:)

Double check the residency rules for the state. You need to have residency status at the time of application for most states I believe - ie you have to live there for 12 months before you even submit your application to be considered a resident.

(Somebody feel free to fact check me on that, but I think that's how it works in most states)
Good point! I will reconfirm with the admission office. Thank you!

Thanks for the tag. I did this in Michigan and it worked-ish. I applied as a resident and got accepted in the in-state pool, but I was not granted in-state tuition which is the main idea. You are right that they classify you on your residency at the time of application. But the story might change for tuition purposes, as it's usually a different office (registrar in my case) that handles that.

ETA that I sent in an in-state tuition application to registrar unprompted. Just figured that I had to do it. It may very well be the case that if I hadn't said anything, I would have just gotten in-state tuition based on my address with no questions asked.
I see, thank you so much! I will reconfirm that with the admission and registrar office:)

I’ve thought about it too (different place though) since I don’t have an in-state option where I live now. Would love to hear from people who have done this with any state!

Hmmm, not sure about Indiana but I’m currently establishing residency in Oregon and as far as I’m aware, OSU states this as their main requirement: “Establishment of a domicile and predominant physical presence in Oregon for a period of 12 months or more prior to the beginning of the term in which resident status is sought.” So OSU's requirement seems different than being an established resident from the time of application that others have mentioned.

I would still contact the office in charge to check and make sure all the policy information is correct for the veterinary school and up-to-date as others mentioned above, but Purdue's general policy is laid out here:

In summary:
For the purposes of this policy, a Resident is a Student who meets one the following criteria:
  1. An Independent Student whose Domicile is in Indiana for:
    1. a Predominant Purpose and
    2. at least 12 continuous months directly preceding the first day of classes of the academic semester or session for which residence classification is sought.

I would still contact the office in charge to check and make sure all the policy information is correct for the veterinary school and up-to-date as others mentioned above, but Purdue's general policy is laid out here:

In summary:
Thank you so much for all the info and links! I read through them and then emailed the admission and residency office and they said it is possible to change residency after 12 months of living:) Thanks again!