Moving to new state before applying to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tortaspie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering moving to Arizona after I graduate and trying to get into their veterinary school. I have lived in Idaho my whole life and I hate the weather here. I have always dreamed of living in a warm climate where it doesn't snow. I have been to southern Utah and I love the hot desert climate there so I know I would like it in Arizona. At the same time I don't want to be picky and run the risk of not getting in. I definitely don't want to pay extra out of state tuition.

What do you all think? Have you had success on moving and then applying to vet school? What other vet schools are located in warm areas? If I'm going to live somewhere for four years I want it to be somewhere where I'm happy and I like the weather.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the vet school in AZ doesn't differentiate between in state and out of state. You will be paying what is equivalent of out of state tuition at most vet schools regardless of if you move to AZ or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I am seriously considering moving to Arizona after I graduate and trying to get into their veterinary school. I have lived in Idaho my whole life and I hate the weather here. I have always dreamed of living in a warm climate where it doesn't snow. I have been to southern Utah and I love the hot desert climate there so I know I would like it in Arizona. At the same time I don't want to be picky and run the risk of not getting in. I definitely don't want to pay extra out of state tuition.

What do you all think? Have you had success on moving and then applying to vet school? What other vet schools are located in warm areas? If I'm going to live somewhere for four years I want it to be somewhere where I'm happy and I like the weather.
Rumors around the vet community in AZ is that U of A will be (potentially) getting a vet school. There hasn't been any recent news on it but just a heads up. This is the program website http://vmsp.cals.arizona.edu/.

As DVMDream said, Midwestern doesn't differentiate IS vs OOS. Plus, it will cost you a pretty penny.

If you do move to AZ, I would suggest Peoria or Glendale area. They are nice. And that's where I grew up. Central Phoenix is a bit doggy and stay out of South Phoenix.

If you want a bit of weather, Prescott Valley is nice. It's relatively cheap to live there and about an hour or so drive down i-17 to Phoenix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rumors around the vet community in AZ is that U of A will be (potentially) getting a vet school. There hasn't been any recent news on it but just a heads up. This is the program website http://vmsp.cals.arizona.edu/.

As DVMDream said, Midwestern doesn't differentiate IS vs OOS. Plus, it will cost you a pretty penny.

If you do move to AZ, I would suggest Peoria or Glendale area. They are nice. And that's where I grew up. Central Phoenix is a bit doggy and stay out of South Phoenix.

If you want a bit of weather, Prescott Valley is nice. It's relatively cheap to live there and about an hour or so drive down i-17 to Phoenix.

:laugh: U of A has been rumored to be getting a vet school for over a decade. I wouldn't be holding my breath. ;)

:laugh: U of A has been rumored to be getting a vet school for over a decade. I wouldn't be holding my breath. ;)
Believe me, I know. As a kid, I hoped that I would be able to go. They were "definitely getting one" when I was in 6th grade, but obviously it didn't pan out.

They had a benefactor leave a load of money to be used only for a vet school so that has started the cycle again. AZ legislature has been having issues with U of A, Midwestern, and WICHE.

Believe me, I know. As a kid, I hoped that I would be able to go. They were "definitely getting one" when I was in 6th grade, but obviously it didn't pan out.

They had a benefactor leave a load of money to be used only for a vet school so that has started the cycle again. AZ legislature has been having issues with U of A, Midwestern, and WICHE.

Yeah, I was hopeful when I was younger too then I realized it isn't going to happen. They'd be better off ditching WICHE and providing financial support and loan repayment programs for native Arizonans that do come back to AZ to work. Instead of giving help to a very small handful of students that happen to get into select schools and who may never come back AZ.

Oh well. Being smart has never been a strong point for AZ.

Yeah, I was hopeful when I was younger too then I realized it isn't going to happen. They'd be better off ditching WICHE and providing financial support and loan repayment programs for native Arizonans that do come back to AZ to work. Instead of giving help to a very small handful of students that happen to get into select schools and who may never come back AZ.

Oh well. Being smart has never been a strong point for AZ.
That just seems too easy for AZ. They have to make it really hard first. Plus the WICHE seats are dispersed among more than just AZ students.

Loan repayment would be much better. There are some counties up north that will help with loan repayments. But they are few and far between.