MPH Advice Wanted: Cheaper Program vs Better But More $$ Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm interested in your input...
I'm applying to MPH programs in Epidemiology. Immediately after graduating I'd ideally like to work for a government agency or the like, but down the road I am interested in going back for my PhD (not 100% sure, would also like to get some work experience first and narrow down research topics I'd like to pursue).

I am up for an assistantship at a large state school where I did my undergrad. It is CEPH accredited but doesn't have a particularly reputable program, especially in epidemiology. The assistantship is through housing services, which I worked for as an undergrad, and would cover both tuition and housing. WHICH IS HUGE! However, I'm concerned that the education and experience I'd receive here are not as valuable as what I'd get through other programs.

Right now I'm stuck whether it would make more sense to go into a better program but go into some debt, or do my MPH at the school where I did my undergard which has fewer faculty/research opportunities/networking/etc...

I'd love to hear your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to MPH programs in Epidemiology. Immediately after graduating I'd ideally like to work for a government agency or the like, but down the road I am interested in going back for my PhD (not 100% sure, would also like to get some work experience first and narrow down research topics I'd like to pursue).

I am up for an assistantship at a large state school where I did my undergrad. It is CEPH accredited but doesn't have a particularly reputable program, especially in epidemiology. The assistantship is through housing services, which I worked for as an undergrad, and would cover both tuition and housing. WHICH IS HUGE! However, I'm concerned that the education and experience I'd receive here are not as valuable as what I'd get through other programs.

Right now I'm stuck whether it would make more sense to go into a better program but go into some debt, or do my MPH at the school where I did my undergard which has fewer faculty/research opportunities/networking/etc...

I'd say:

1. One person who hires MPHers noted on this board in the past that they don't look at where a person went to school. So, while a lot of time is spent analyzing the "top" programs by applicants, you have to wonder if this really matters as much in the public health arena as in other fields. I think it makes sense to go to public health school where you want to work as you'll network locally and learn about opportunities in the area. If you work very hard at a lesser known program, you could well come out ahead of somebody at a lesser known program who isn't as motivated. Motivation is a huge factor.

2. Mitigating the debt burden is a big deal, especially as you might not make a lot with an MPH, and it helps to have flexibility to move around the country and switch jobs as you search for something that lets you do what you want to do.

3. I've heard that the skills you get from the MPH are more important, so for you, obviously a strong Epidemiology program is important, regardless of where the program lands on different ranking lists.

4. I think that in the rarer case of wanting to do a PhD, it matters more the reputation of the school, and if they provide a research background.

Do you feel you can do exceptionally well at your state school, or are you not motivated by the less than ideal curriculum?
Would enjoy being in a big city and networking and learning about different research topics?
How would you feel about having a large debt burden after you graduate?
What sort of benefits do you see yourself gaining at a more prestigious/larger program with a more solid Epidemiology component?

I can tell you what I'd do, but you need to make the best decision for yourself!

Reactions: 3 users

I know nothing about PhDs so I can't answer anyhting about that but...

1. In terms of getting hired after your MPH. People don't really care where you went. Like even if it's Harvard. They may pick a state-school grad with more work experience over a Harvard grad with no job skills, unless its an internship or something but only bc the person who already has work experience would be overqualified.

2. MPHs don't make a ton unless further down the line, so it's great to have most money matters settled. HOWEVER, I wouldn't go to a school that doesn't have a strong focus in what i want to learn. That's just wasting your time imo. I would go to the school with a stronger epi program. Im not saying higher ranked, im saying better overall. research/networking (huge for public health)/better career services/ higher job placements (check how many they place in govt since thats where you want to be). You want to get the best experience possible and learn as much as possible right? So go where you'll find that.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with @She-Hulk and I've been saying the same thing to prospective applicants since I joined. Reputation is only a small factor in choosing where to go, and for some it's not a factor at all. Keep in mind that the further out from your MPH you are, the less people will care about where you got it (like what @docgreys is saying). Get good grades, get some research experience (either through a campus job, your practicum, or post-grad work) and the door should be wide open for PhD. But definitely think hard before you pass up such a rare opportunity to go to school debt free.

Good luck with your decision!