MPH Applicant- LOW GPA/LOW GRES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPW1088

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm freaking out right now. Everything aside from my undergraduate GPA and GRE are flawless. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm desperately trying to get my MPH, so I can make the transition from strictly event planning and development roles for disease prevention based health organizations, to programming for international health organizations (FHI 360, MSH, PATH, PSI, etc.), and global health consulting for large consulting firms (Deloitte, BCG, John Snow, Inc.) and smaller global health consulting boutiques (Rabin Martin, Global Health Strategies, etc.). Johns Hopkins MPH or MBA/MPH would be my 1st choice, though I think my chances are slim for both programs. Really love Emory too, for either an MPH or their dual degree program.

Factors that could offset GRE Scores:
-I understand that Hopkins is very keen on high quantitative GRE Scores. Will having straight A's in all of my Calculus and Statistics courses help overshadow my low GRE score?
- Holistic Approach: I've heard work experience is extremely important for MPH programs. Having demonstrated my passions and the results I attained while working for each of these organizations could possibly speak more to admission counselors than my GRE/GPA.

Statement of Purpose- Excellent, accurately demonstrating how my personal health challenges have fueled my passion to bring better healthcare solutions to vulnerable communities in developing nations.
Letters of Recommendation (3)- one from the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Top 5 Nonprofit Health Brand/Organization in the Country
- one from the CFO & COO of a smaller boutique nonprofit health organization
- one from past professor (Sex and Gender in Society-- ties into sexual health and other health issues) at UNC-Chapel Hill; hoping that helps my chances at Gillings School of Global Public Health
Background: Attended a Top 40 private institution in the Southeast, where I was pursuing a B.B.A. in International Finance and Marketing-- transferred with a 3.94 GPA. Was heavily involved in student organization focused on raising cancer awareness, volunteered at the local children's hospital, and organized my own fundraiser to raise funds for research for children's cancer. Transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill, changed my major to sociology. Held numerous leadership roles for both student organizations focused on health issues, fraternity, and religious organizations, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel. GPA suffered due to extenuating circumstance (hospitalized for unknown medical conditions on multiple occasions).
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (Overall Combined)
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Strong background; major from transfer school)
GRE (including date taken): Rather not disclose. Not good (Low 150s)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

MPH/ MSC. Program Rank
1. Johns Hopkins University
2. Emory University
3. Georgetown University
4. UNC-Chapel Hill
5. Duke
6. Tulane
7. GWU

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health and Development), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), Duke (Master of Science- Global Health), GWU (MPH-Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming your GPA took quite a dip after transferring since you went from a 3.94 to around a 3.3. That might raise some questions when reviewing your application. The GRE doesn't really help or hurt your case, unless its closer to 150Q,150V than 155Q/155V. Closer to the latter number would be a decent score. BUT you have a lot of great experience, went to a great school, and have a solid understanding of what you want to do.

That being said, (and I'm not one to judge, this is just my personal opinion), I think the schools you're applying to for MPH/MBA may not be inclined to accept you due to the low GRE and potentially downward trending GPA. The dual degree programs are just too competitive and they have to look at grades and/or test scores at least initially. I would imagine GWU would be the most accepting and amenable to acknowledging and accepting hardships, as I know some individuals who have been accepted with similar stats. Again, just my opinion, not trying to be rude or mean! Hope this is a little helpful.

Thanks for the response, PhDHopeful. I appreciate your constructive criticism and honesty. Though I have a few defenses. 1) The academic reputation of Miami versus North Carolina is a night and day difference, not the mention the academic rigor. I hope admission committees know that one piece of information. I mostly got B's and B+'s at UNC, with the exception of a C here and there, and a few A's and A-'s. 2) There were some extenuating circumstances that hindered my academic performance during my first year at UNC, requiring me to be hospitalized on multiple occasions. I did not feel the need to address this in my application, because I am not one who likes to make excuses. To overcome my academic difficulties, I decided to work for three years, to demonstrate my passion for improving the lives of those who are underserved, and my dedication to health. I certainly hope there are a few schools, maybe even some of my reaches (Hopkins, UNC, Emory) that can see beyond my numbers, and notice my potential and how I can be an asset to their MPH program.

I know you said that my chances at MPH/MBA programs are nearly possible, though how about a strict MPH program at Emory or Hopkins? Thank you again for your feedback.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I see. I didn't know any of that before, so I think it will definitely benefit your application. I think schools will definitely be more willing to look beyond the numbers if there is a good application. Also, I think your chances at a strict MPH would be better than the combined, but you definitely have to keep in mind that Emory and Hopkins are two of the top 6 schools in the country for Public Health, which means they're getting a high amount of applicants with better stats than you but I think if you've effectively articulating your myriad of experiences, it should keep you in the running with them. Hope that helps!

Thanks, PhDHopeful623. Yes, I complete understand the competitiveness to get into programs like Emory, Hopkins and UNC. Though, I'm hoping that they see more potential in me than some new graduate (Class of 2014), who does not have one stint of work experience or real world experience. More than numbers, diversity of a class is extremely important. Only time will tell, and I've been through harder hurdles in life so I can handle a rejection here or there. If a school only sees me for number, which I'd assumed is how Harvard and Johns Hopkins evaluates their applicants, then I wouldn't want to be in their program. Everything has to be mutually benefitting in life. Sorry for my rant.

Thanks, PhDHopeful623. Yes, I complete understand the competitiveness to get into programs like Emory, Hopkins and UNC. Though, I'm hoping that they see more potential in me than some new graduate (Class of 2014), who does not have one stint of work experience or real world experience. More than numbers, diversity of a class is extremely important. Only time will tell, and I've been through harder hurdles in life so I can handle a rejection here or there. If a school only sees me for number, which I'd assumed is how Harvard and Johns Hopkins evaluates their applicants, then I wouldn't want to be in their program. Everything has to be mutually benefitting in life. Sorry for my rant.

Not sure about Harvard, but JHU definitely doesn't evaluate their applications solely by their numbers. My GPA is lower than yours (with a strong upward trend) and my GRE scores are about the same. They do take your undergraduate school into account, as I quite often heard "Oh, you're an engineering major from ____? Interesting, tough school!" Just make a strong case for yourself without appearing defensive about certain aspects of your application, and you should be fine.

Hi MadisonJacket,

Thank you for the reply. Did you apply/ get into Johns Hopkins MPH program? If so, what concentration? Unfortunately, I wasn't an Engineering/Biology/ "insert other hard science" major, I was a social science major. While others may feel that social science programs may be easy, that certainly was not the case at UNC-Chapel Hill. Though, I didn't focus on explaining my flaws (bad GPA/bad GRE) to the admission officers in my statement of purpose, because that's something they can nit-pick with their own judgement. I focused on my strong passion for improving the lives of those who are underserved and lack the proper resources to live sustaining lives, and how the skills that I have acquired through my formal education, work experience, and international travels, will only complement my potential MPH degree.

I applied to their MHA program and got accepted, but I'm not sure how competitive that is compared to their MPH program.

Those at Johns Hopkins give lots of respect to UNC-Chapel Hill as they know it's also another great school, so I wouldn't be worried about them overlooking that part of your application. And I never nit-picked the flaws in my applications as well. If the numbers were above the requirements, then I paid them no extra attention.

That's awesome, MadisonJacket. Their MPH programs are pretty competitive, and it depends more on your focus. I believe EPI is the hardest of them all, though this is all just speculation and not fact, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would hope so! I believe a lot of institutions do not value UNC-Chapel Hill as one of the best universities anymore, though I could be biased because of my own experiences since I graduated; finding a job and all of that.

Hi everyone,

I'm freaking out right now. Everything aside from my undergraduate GPA and GRE are flawless. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm desperately trying to get my MPH, so I can make the transition from strictly event planning and development roles for disease prevention based health organizations, to programming for international health organizations (FHI 360, MSH, PATH, PSI, etc.), and global health consulting for large consulting firms (Deloitte, BCG, John Snow, Inc.) and smaller global health consulting boutiques (Rabin Martin, Global Health Strategies, etc.). Johns Hopkins MPH or MBA/MPH would be my 1st choice, though I think my chances are slim for both programs. Really love Emory too, for either an MPH or their dual degree program.

Factors that could offset GRE Scores:
-I understand that Hopkins is very keen on high quantitative GRE Scores. Will having straight A's in all of my Calculus and Statistics courses help overshadow my low GRE score?
- Holistic Approach: I've heard work experience is extremely important for MPH programs. Having demonstrated my passions and the results I attained while working for each of these organizations could possibly speak more to admission counselors than my GRE/GPA.

Statement of Purpose- Excellent, accurately demonstrating how my personal health challenges have fueled my passion to bring better healthcare solutions to vulnerable communities in developing nations.
Letters of Recommendation (3)- one from the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Top 5 Nonprofit Health Brand/Organization in the Country
- one from the CFO & COO of a smaller boutique nonprofit health organization
- one from past professor (Sex and Gender in Society-- ties into sexual health and other health issues) at UNC-Chapel Hill; hoping that helps my chances at Gillings School of Global Public Health
Background: Attended a Top 40 private institution in the Southeast, where I was pursuing a B.B.A. in International Finance and Marketing-- transferred with a 3.94 GPA. Was heavily involved in student organization focused on raising cancer awareness, volunteered at the local children's hospital, and organized my own fundraiser to raise funds for research for children's cancer. Transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill, changed my major to sociology. Held numerous leadership roles for both student organizations focused on health issues, fraternity, and religious organizations, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel. GPA suffered due to extenuating circumstance (hospitalized for unknown medical conditions on multiple occasions).
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (Overall Combined)
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Strong background; major from transfer school)
GRE (including date taken): Rather not disclose. Not good (Low 150s)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

MPH/ MSC. Program Rank
1. Johns Hopkins University
2. Emory University
3. Georgetown University
4. UNC-Chapel Hill
5. Duke
6. Tulane
7. GWU

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health and Development), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), Duke (Master of Science- Global Health), GWU (MPH-Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hey dont worry the schools review your complete application , not just GPA and GRE, even I was really tensed with my low GRE verbal 148 and AWA 3.0 :D but I got into Emory Global Health, Tulane, Texas etc. so dont worry just hope for the best. all the best :) :)

Thanks, @shailley! I'm hoping I get into Emory Global Health and Hopkins, or at least one of them.

Denied by UNC-Chapel Hill. First decision too, confidence is ruined. Not feeling good at all about Emory or Johns Hopkins.

Yes, I got into quite a few. Decided on Tulane, and I'm here now.

Yes, I got into quite a few. Decided on Tulane, and I'm here now.

Congrats! That's awesome. What other schools did you get accepted to and what made you select Tulane?

I am interested in applying for MPH programs, especially Global/Intl Health concentrations. My GPA is EXTREMELY LOW, 2.63 to be exact. I know those numbers probably made your eyes bleed lol. I am just looking for a little feedback and guidance

Undergrad School: Small Public University in Ohio
Undergrad GPA: 2.63
Major: international Relations
Minor: Marketing
-Studied Abroad in Morocco for 1 sem, also tutored non native English speaking students while abroad.
-Completed 2 summer internships with State of Ohio Job & Family Services.
- Participated in Americorps, SGA, various multicultural organizations.
-Participated in 1 Undergraduate research conference.
-Recently joined Medical Reserve Corps.
-Currently volunteering once a week preparing Nepalese clients for Citizenship test.
- I currently work at a non profit refugee resettlement agency as an Office Assistant.
- I also work as a part time youth & parent mentor, serving emotionally disturbed youth & parents.

I just started the application process on SOPHAS. I plan on taking the GRE in two months. Do you think I have a chance of getting accepted into a program?