MPH biostats at Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josiebee1118

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for an MPH at Columbia - my first choice was epi, but I have been accepted by my second choice program, biostats. Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it very difficult? It seems to be very applicable to what I want to do, but I'dlike to get some feedback so I can decide if its really for me...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a biostat PhD but in North Carolina. The masters level is not too bad.

Look at Casella Berger's Statistical Inference ( first ten chapters), and a standard textbook on linear models and design of experiments that is the foundation of the masters degree.

If you want a PhD degree in biostats, then that is harder. This relies on measure theoretic probability and a more advanced course in statistical inference which uses measure theory.

What do you want to do with this MPH? The field is extremely competitive, and I think you really need a PhD to get those pharmaceutical or FDA jobs.

If you looking for jobs and high pay this is probably one of the better paying divisions in MPH. Columbia puts you in the heart of NYC, and you can do really well there. Good luck and congrats.