MPH in biostats and epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenbull66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to a dual epidemiology and biostatistics MPH degree. I was told without previous experience an MPH would be a waste of time, my undergrad was in biomedical sciences. I have 3 years experience working as a tech at a hospital as I originally was looking at PA school but realized I prefer medicine at the population level over the individual. The program requires an internship so I would assume that this would help in finding a job. I talked to an advisor and voiced these concerns and she told me that with the concentration I am interested in finding a job would not be hard but from what I have read online I am skeptical. Would finding a job be almost impossible without PH experience and if so what experience would help and where would I look for positions in public health right now that would be relevant to this career path. Also I am most likely going to pursue my Phd at some point as well if this makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi GreenBull, the only explanation I can think why someone might tell you that previous experience is required for an MPH degree is that some programs actively try to recruit mid-level public health managers. Most of the programs available do not require experience beyond a BS degree and your degree is perfect!