General MPH/MHA INQUIRY - WHERE WILL I ADVANCE IN LIFE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UpcomingOD2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently studying for the OAT to get into OD school. If I do not do well, I most likely will move on with my life and pursue a masters degree in healthcare. I'm not sure if it will be an MHA or MPH or MS Stats. I would need time in doing research and figuring out what's the best route for me.

Since I have a lower GPA of about 2.90, I feel that I would have trouble getting into a good graduate school, and would have to probably do well on the GRE. I already know my grades aren't the best, so please don't tell me that I would need to improve my GPA and so forth, I've already tried in improving it, long story short and I just want to start somewhere with my education in January 2015!

I plan on completing my OAT by first week of January 2015 and if it doesn't go well, I plan on starting a masters program starting January 2015. I do not want to like wait it out until August 2015 to start a masters, because 7 months of my life will go away and currently time is significant in my life.

So with all that being said, what are the chances of me getting into 1)A decent graduate school for some form of a masters in healthcare by spring semester January 2015!

I'm not aiming for a top school such as John Hopkins, I'm just aiming for something 'decent' that would land me a good education in which employers will not frown upon and that would prepare me for the job field. Once again, I'm undecided in what masters route I would go with, but I know it's going to be in healthcare and I would need time in analyzing what to go for. Obviously, I'm not analyzing right now, because my main goal is the OAT and to attend Optometry school.

2) Would it seriously look bad if I completed my degree from an Online accredited university vs one that is on campus? I know that Grand Canyon University would take me in for their MHA program right away and their classes start like every Thursday!

I'm just worried that in case I do not do well on the OAT, I would have to like wait until August 2015 to enter a decent grad school for any masters in healthcare. I cannot wait until August, I must start my life somewhere in January 2015 or at least know where I'll be heading in life by then.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your chances are very high because 1) Not very many programs start in January (and if they did you'd already need to be on top of it) and 2) It doesn't really sound like you have a clear idea of what you're doing and MPH/MHA programs are very focused on experience for acceptance and it doesn't sound like you have that.

I really wouldn't recommend jumping into a degree that will cost you $1000s if you aren't sure what they are even. Taking 7 months off to work is not bad or making it so "you can't start your life" and will probably be good for both your applications and for helping you figure out what you want in life. I hope things work out for you!

I'm not going to wait 7 months in figuring out what I want to do in life as I have already wasted so much time. GCU does have a MHA/MPH program that is online. Does anyone know if their program is reputable? I believe it is not CEPH accredited. I've heard most online programs start in January and would take about a week or two for gaining admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @enviromentalhopeful. There is no reason to invest the time and money to go to graduate school if you don't have a clear idea of a career track and how you want the graduate degree to help you get there. I would also echo getting some work experience for a year or two before going to grad school. Not only will this help you get into a better school but it will give you a better idea of what you're interested in and what you want to do in the future. This is not called "wasting time" as you mention, this called getting real world experience in the field! I worked for 5 years before going back for my MPH and it was the best decision I've ever made.

Also, I have never heard of that school and would not recommend online programs. Online programs cater towards professionals already in the field who just want the degree for the content or to get up the ladder in their existing organization. The major benefit of going to grad school is all the resources and career networks the school will give you in getting a job post-graduation. I would never waste time or money going to a no-brand non-reputable school.

So are you telling me that if one obtains a MHA/MPH, they should obtain it ONLY if they have work-experience in a health related field? So pretty much, those degrees should be offered to those already in a health related field.

I was thinking that if you do not have job experience, obtaining a MHA/MPH would open doors for employment. I was pretty much correlating it to the OD route, complete optometry school and you will work as an optometrist (this is guranteed and you never hear of an OD being unemployed).

Now, what about MS in Stats/Epidemiology? If your good with stats, you don't necessarily need job experience, right? All you need is an advanced degree.

The thing with me is that I graduated university in 2008 and went to college for my pre-reqs for OD school from '09-'11. Then I had to take the entrance exam for OD school from 2012 - present, and this is going to be my last try. That's why I am in a rush in getting somewhere with my education so that I can start my career as I am getting old.

"So with all that being said, what are the chances of me getting into 1)A decent graduate school for some form of a masters in healthcare by spring semester January 2015!"

Hard to say. You would have to do very well on the gre/gmat first, which you have not taken. Your GPA is low obviously, this will make if difficult to even get to second tier schools in mha/mph. If you get good test scores and have an amazing story in your personal statement, there is a small chance of hope. Honestly your changes are not that great. Good Luck.

I'm currently studying for the OAT to get into OD school. If I do not do well, I most likely will move on with my life and pursue a masters degree in healthcare. I'm not sure if it will be an MHA or MPH or MS Stats. I would need time in doing research and figuring out what's the best route for me.

Since I have a lower GPA of about 2.90, I feel that I would have trouble getting into a good graduate school, and would have to probably do well on the GRE. I already know my grades aren't the best, so please don't tell me that I would need to improve my GPA and so forth, I've already tried in improving it, long story short and I just want to start somewhere with my education in January 2015!

I plan on completing my OAT by first week of January 2015 and if it doesn't go well, I plan on starting a masters program starting January 2015. I do not want to like wait it out until August 2015 to start a masters, because 7 months of my life will go away and currently time is significant in my life.

So with all that being said, what are the chances of me getting into 1)A decent graduate school for some form of a masters in healthcare by spring semester January 2015!

I'm not aiming for a top school such as John Hopkins, I'm just aiming for something 'decent' that would land me a good education in which employers will not frown upon and that would prepare me for the job field. Once again, I'm undecided in what masters route I would go with, but I know it's going to be in healthcare and I would need time in analyzing what to go for. Obviously, I'm not analyzing right now, because my main goal is the OAT and to attend Optometry school.

2) Would it seriously look bad if I completed my degree from an Online accredited university vs one that is on campus? I know that Grand Canyon University would take me in for their MHA program right away and their classes start like every Thursday!

I'm just worried that in case I do not do well on the OAT, I would have to like wait until August 2015 to enter a decent grad school for any masters in healthcare. I cannot wait until August, I must start my life somewhere in January 2015 or at least know where I'll be heading in life by then.

First off, do not use an MHA/MPH as just something to do if you don't get into optometry school. MHA and MPH programs care a lot about sincere interest in the field. Additionally, I believe all of the reputable programs that start in January are already past their deadline, so you will have to wait until August 2015 to start anyways. At least for on-campus programs. As far as online programs go, the question has kind of already been answered here. They are mostly designed for current health professionals that cannot/don't want to take the time off from work to complete a 1-2 year program. I have never heard of the program that you mentioned and were you to attend it, you would likely just be throwing your money away. Waiting 7 months to start in August is not a bad thing. It gives you time to work or even just relax before going back into a something that is going to be a long and expensive commitment. And as I touched in before, it is honestly too late in the year to be starting anything in January.

As far as an MS goes, it's kind of the same as what I stated above. You're likely not going to find one that will allow you to submit an application, be reviewed (and likely interviewed), and accepted to start in less than two months.

Are the MHA/MPH routes all geared towards people that have already had work related experience? I thought MHA/MPH is pretty much just a masters degree and it's equivalent to any other masters degree in which if an individual does NOT have work experience, they may expand their knowledge with the education and obtain employment. For instance, masters in clinical psychology, majority of the grad students have no work experience, but they have interest in clinical psychology and so they pursue that degree to open up doors for either a PhD program or employment. Does the MHA/MPH route not work at all like that?

P.S. - If your going to tell me that my chances are slim, that's fine, I understand, but please do provide what I can do to seriously get into a decent MHA/MPH program. I'm not interested in hearing "Oh your chances are slim, good luck." What can I do then? Thanks.

Are the MHA/MPH routes all geared towards people that have already had work related experience? I thought MHA/MPH is pretty much just a masters degree and it's equivalent to any other masters degree in which if an individual does NOT have work experience, they may expand their knowledge with the education and obtain employment. For instance, masters in clinical psychology, majority of the grad students have no work experience, but they have interest in clinical psychology and so they pursue that degree to open up doors for either a PhD program or employment. Does the MHA/MPH route not work at all like that?

P.S. - If your going to tell me that my chances are slim, that's fine, I understand, but please do provide what I can do to seriously get into a decent MHA/MPH program. I'm not interested in hearing "Oh your chances are slim, good luck." What can I do then? Thanks.

No, you do not have to have related work experience. However, you should be able to indicate that you have an interest in the field of public health (this is often displayed through some sort of activity, work or extracurricular, that you have done). I think that if you truly have an interest in public health, then go for it. But it appears that you are just looking at applying because you don't want to go a few months without being in some sort of program. The only other point I was trying to make above is that you should not be banking on getting into a program that starts in January. You simply will not be able to get into a reputable program because all of the deadlines for the Spring have passed. If you truly are interested in public health, I suggest getting involved in the field through volunteering and then apply for entrance in August 2015 or January 2016.

Reactions: 1 user
Ummmm I graduated one year after you and just started an Epi MS, you are not old. Tons of people in public health school are exactly our age.

Honestly, people get into better MPH/MHA programs than you are aiming for with near-3.0 GPAs (there is more than one Grad Cafe thread about this in public health specifically if you're interested in where people have gotten in). Few programs let you start in January at all-- I think none of the places I applied allowed that-- and even those programs that do allow January start are most likely not accepting applications anymore. Even if they were, GRE spots fill up this time of year and you don't really have time to study for it, take it, find out if your scores were acceptable, and have them sent by any conceivable deadline.

You really need to look into what public health schools are actually reputable (i.e. accredited by CEPH) and realistic for you to attend. You would be selling yourself short by going anywhere that will take you for January and paying a lot for a most likely unaccredited degree, when MPH admissions are not particularly competitive (public health schools are actually growing right now) and you could likely have gone somewhere better with even minimal preparation. If anything, getting into an MS program is harder and people with work experience will still have an advantage. Also, you have to actually have an interest in research for that. It can't be how you rebrand yourself.

Your options for schools, and your job options after graduation, will increase dramatically if you work in a related area for a bit. MHA programs in particular will want to see work experience. That might be a good use of your time until August. You can look at the acceptance threads here and on Grad Cafe to prove it to yourself: people with average or even slightly below average stats and a year or two of related work experience get into places they are very happy with-- better places than you're talking about going. MPH programs are also really unlikely to offer you funding, like most professional degrees. Not only are you likely to spend your tuition money on an unaccredited place that doesn't deserve it if you insist on starting in January, there are probably options for you that are both better and cheaper because many of the good public health schools are actually public.

If you really want to do something in January, you should see if a real school will let you be a credit non-degree student. Also, many applications to start in August close in November and December, so if you don't turn your attention to applying to those schools soon you'll be looking at not going anywhere in 2015.

Ummmm I graduated one year after you and just started an Epi MS, you are not old. Tons of people in public health school are exactly our age.

Honestly, people get into better MPH/MHA programs than you are aiming for with near-3.0 GPAs (there is more than one Grad Cafe thread about this in public health specifically if you're interested in where people have gotten in). Few programs let you start in January at all-- I think none of the places I applied allowed that-- and even those programs that do allow January start are most likely not accepting applications anymore. Even if they were, GRE spots fill up this time of year and you don't really have time to study for it, take it, find out if your scores were acceptable, and have them sent by any conceivable deadline.

You really need to look into what public health schools are actually reputable (i.e. accredited by CEPH) and realistic for you to attend. You would be selling yourself short by going anywhere that will take you for January and paying a lot for a most likely unaccredited degree, when MPH admissions are not particularly competitive (public health schools are actually growing right now) and you could likely have gone somewhere better with even minimal preparation. If anything, getting into an MS program is harder and people with work experience will still have an advantage. Also, you have to actually have an interest in research for that. It can't be how you rebrand yourself.

Your options for schools, and your job options after graduation, will increase dramatically if you work in a related area for a bit. MHA programs in particular will want to see work experience. That might be a good use of your time until August. You can look at the acceptance threads here and on Grad Cafe to prove it to yourself: people with average or even slightly below average stats and a year or two of related work experience get into places they are very happy with-- better places than you're talking about going. MPH programs are also really unlikely to offer you funding, like most professional degrees. Not only are you likely to spend your tuition money on an unaccredited place that doesn't deserve it if you insist on starting in January, there are probably options for you that are both better and cheaper because many of the good public health schools are actually public.

If you really want to do something in January, you should see if a real school will let you be a credit non-degree student. Also, many applications to start in August close in November and December, so if you don't turn your attention to applying to those schools soon you'll be looking at not going anywhere in 2015.

The last point that @themmases made is actually a very good one. Many schools with CEPH accredited public health masters degrees will allow you to take classes as a non-matriculated student. If you really feel that you must be doing something in January, you can look at that option. It would let you take a couple of classes and get a feel for the field. Those classes would then transfer into an MPH program were you to decide you wanted to continue on that path.

Thanks guys for explaining! So pretty much, majority of the good schools will not be accepting students for admissions into their MHA/MPH program in January because 1) Most classes don't start in Spring, first year of school starts in August and 2) For August's class, application deadlines are by November/December and those require a GRE score (in which I don't have).

I agree, and that's why I mentioned in my first post that I'm not sure what I want to do and after I complete the OAT (Hopefully I pass so that I don't have to worry about no masters program), I will do deep research on what I want to do. If it's MHA/MPH, then getting work-related experience is NOT necessary but it can help me gain admissions to a 'decent school.' If it is MS Stats/Epi then that's another story.

I was just trying to get a realistic viewpoint of what I would be able to do in January as a back-up. I was confused because Grand Canyon University offers their MHA/MPH program online and it starts every Thursday and pretty much you apply and gain admissions within a week. So I was like thinking most other MHA/MPH programs are like that and that's why I thought I had a great chance of starting somewhere with an online program in January. But once again, most online programs are NOT CEPH accredited, like Grand Canyon University.

So, are there any ONLINE CEPH accredited universities for MHA/MPH that start once every week? - Similar to Grand Canyon University.

Also, themmasses, did you mention that most CEPH accredited MHA/MPH programs are cheaper than non-accredited MHA/MPH programs? If so, how is that possible? I would think other way around. I read that CEPH accreditation just gives you chances for working for the CDC.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for explaining! So pretty much, majority of the good schools will not be accepting students for admissions into their MHA/MPH program in January because 1) Most classes don't start in Spring, first year of school starts in August and 2) For August's class, application deadlines are by November/December and those require a GRE score (in which I don't have).

I agree, and that's why I mentioned in my first post that I'm not sure what I want to do and after I complete the OAT (Hopefully I pass so that I don't have to worry about no masters program), I will do deep research on what I want to do. If it's MHA/MPH, then getting work-related experience is NOT necessary but it can help me gain admissions to a 'decent school.' If it is MS Stats/Epi then that's another story.

I was just trying to get a realistic viewpoint of what I would be able to do in January as a back-up. I was confused because Grand Canyon University offers their MHA/MPH program online and it starts every Thursday and pretty much you apply and gain admissions within a week. So I was like thinking most other MHA/MPH programs are like that and that's why I thought I had a great chance of starting somewhere with an online program in January. But once again, most online programs are NOT CEPH accredited, like Grand Canyon University.

So, are there any ONLINE CEPH accredited universities for MHA/MPH that start once every week? - Similar to Grand Canyon University.

Also, themmasses, did you mention that most CEPH accredited MHA/MPH programs are cheaper than non-accredited MHA/MPH programs? If so, how is that possible? I would think other way around. I read that CEPH accreditation just gives you chances for working for the CDC.

As has been stated, I can't think of any on-line/in-person MPH or MHA programs that will accept you for Spring 2015 admission this late - especially with no GRE score. Focus on getting any volunteer/work experience you can in the meantime. Many programs have early winter deadlines for Fall 2015 so those will be coming up soon.

This isn't a knock on Grand Canyon in particular, but I would be very, very hesitant to invest time and money into a program that starts every Thursday. Maybe I'm being a bit old-fashioned, but that does not sound like a reputable program. CEPH accreditation isn't absolutely necessary, but I would avoid non-accredited programs unless there is no other option.

Regarding work experience - it sounds like your interest has been in health profession programs? It's much simpler to explain the career path of those programs - you finish medical school and become a doctor, you finish nursing school and become a nurse, etc. There are many job titles in public health, so having exposure to those, through work/volunteer experience, shows schools that you are genuinely interested.

I'm still confused on how there are online MHA/MPH programs that start right away, but aren't CEPH accredited and some people are telling me CEPH is not necessary. Then why have these programs been established? Why are students going there and getting their degrees? So if CEPH is not necessary, then why do people go to the non-accredited schools? So there is either CEPH or Non-accredited Uni's, those are the two options, right? Can someone please be clear and concise?

Anyways, I am exhausted researching about something that does not matter to me at this point. My main focus is pretty much doing well on the OAT and attending OD school in August 2015. That's it! There are so many other opportunities out there for me: MHA/MPH, MS Stats/Epi, respiratory care, tech jobs, ND school, etc.

I could care less about any of the above careers at this point, because Optometry is my main goal! No need to waste energy on something I'm confused and not interested about. The MHA/MPH route is a complicated career and would take time for one to understand.

If I do not do well on the exam, then in the month of January, I can do an in depth research on what is available for January/August 2015 or 2016. However, it's pointless to research now and go back and forth with you guys into something I'm not even clear about what I want to do. If I don't do well, there are other things I can do: 1) Work or 2) Vacation or 3) Work + Vacation until I find out what I really want to do. I could even go to Europe and obtain a free education in MS nutritional science! Endless opportunities are awaiting. No need to rush and worry about something I'm not even interested in when I have my MAIN goal coming up soon. Thanks!

Last edited:
Again, it doesn't sound like online programs are a good fit for you since you're hoping to get a new job after graduating so i would veto that option totally.

I think all you can do is get work experience, volunteer, take classes at well known institutions as non-credit student to prove you can do well and are interested in the classes, and of course do super well on your GRE. While work experience is not necessary for some MPH/MHA programs, you won't get in to any of the reputable schools because of your low GPA AND no work experience. The students who do get into those programs without work experience tend to have high grades. Also I'm not sure how you can make a solid argument in your personal statement for going into the field if you have only taken unrelated classes and have no work/volunteer/internship experience in public health. You are NOT too old (I have a classmate in my MPH program who is in his 50s) but you need to do the groundwork first, you can't just jump into a reputable program without having some sort of foundation. It just won't happen.

I'm not going to wait 7 months in figuring out what I want to do in life as I have already wasted so much time. GCU does have a MHA/MPH program that is online. Does anyone know if their program is reputable? I believe it is not CEPH accredited. I've heard most online programs start in January and would take about a week or two for gaining admissions.
There are institutions which start in jan. Univ of New England offers online mph program.
But I'm not sure of on campus institutions thou, I'm also planning to join mph in jan