MPH or job or research or more undergrad classes, etc???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disturbed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone..
i am a biochem major ... i just graduated this semester and will be applying for med school over the summer while working in a lab ...

i was wondering wat should i do after this summer... i was thinking about the following options... pls help me out in choosing one... need advice....

- do MPH (master of public health) ???
- do some more research ???
- take some more undergrad classes (and raise my gPA) ???
- do some other well paying job....???
- or any other advice u have...

pls help me !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Disturbed said:
hey everyone..
i am a biochem major ... i just graduated this semester and will be applying for med school over the summer while working in a lab ...

i was wondering wat should i do after this summer... i was thinking about the following options... pls help me out in choosing one... need advice....

- do MPH (master of public health) ???
- do some more research ???
- take some more undergrad classes (and raise my gPA) ???
- do some other well paying job....???
- or any other advice u have...

pls help me !!!

It would help to know something about your background. Does your GPA need to be raised? If so, more undergrad courses may be what you need.

I just finished my MPH because I want to be in the public health sector. Unless that is what you also want to do, I wouldn't recommend it. The classes are fluff classes and it won't make up for a not so stellar GPA. However, there are some cool experiences you can do while getting this degree so it can help you from this aspect. Also, it was great interview fodder because that's what I mostly talked about during your interview. If you're applying this year, you may not have time to finish it. Many programs are two years, although there some exceptions, and you've probably missed their deadlines at this point.

In sounds like you'll be working in a lab this summer so you'll be getting some research experience. Do more only if it's something you enjoy.

In sum, talk to an advisor about an possible deficiencies you may have and pick what you want to do based on that. Good luck.

thanks brain......

Yea... my Gpa is not that good .... its around 3.2.... i took the MCAT this april and i hoping the score to be around 30...
i have a lot of ECs... TAed for Gen. Chem ... ER volunteer... member of several clubs... founder and officer of a cultural club.... play musical instrument...performed in a show... Research experience at a lab for 8 months (first half for credit.. next half... i was paid)... volunteered for a program that serves ppl in rural areas of a South east asian country

i wasnt born in US... just came here before college.... there is an upward trend in my transcript...
so thats pretty much my profile...

wat do u guys think now ???

Members don't see this ad :)
Disturbed said:
thanks brain......

Yea... my Gpa is not that good .... its around 3.2.... i took the MCAT this april and i hoping the score to be around 30...
i have a lot of ECs... TAed for Gen. Chem ... ER volunteer... member of several clubs... founder and officer of a cultural club.... play musical instrument...performed in a show... Research experience at a lab for 8 months (first half for credit.. next half... i was paid)... volunteered for a program that serves ppl in rural areas of a South east asian country

i wasnt born in US... just came here before college.... there is an upward trend in my transcript...
so thats pretty much my profile...

wat do u guys think now ???

If you are applying this year, take a wait and see approach with classes. Why take classes you do not need.

Why are going to get an MPH? Some schools offer an MPH/MD degree.

If you are going to get a high paying job, how are you going to go to interviews if you are not able to take vacation time? Are you going to get a job for just one year?

You may want to call a temp service and let them know that you would like some temp assignments until you have things with school finalized.

Thanks EMT2ER-DOC....
considering your advice and that of brain's...
i have the feeling that its better to do research (get paid a little) and take some important classes at the same time...

btw wat do u mean by temp service???

yea its true that its not easy to get a high paying job and also i wont get that many vacation for interviews... anywayz, i am not really interested in MPH, its just that somebody just adviced me to do it while i m waiting...
let me know whether i m taking the right decision or not...

everyone.... please let me know wat u think about my decision....

I am on a waitlist for a med school, and I am starting an MPH program this summer. If I get in to the med school then i will go this fall, and if not I will complete the mph program by the end of next summer and will reapply to med school for the next year. But I would assume that most MPH program deadlines have already passed and you would only be able to apply for the next year. So, since you are not extremely interested in an MPH I would advise you to stick with the research and maybe take more classes since your gpa is on the low side.

DO something that will make you happy not what you think schools will like.

When you work as a temp. you are filling in a position until either the project is done or the position is filled. Some companies would like to finish a project early but do not have the personnel for the workload. And since the workload will be high only for a short period of time, it does not make any sense to hire new people. So they call a temporary service that can furnish them with workers until the projec is done. And the temporary workers do not come back.

Understand?

yea... i got it....
thanks a lot....everyone.... i really appreciate your help.....

yea... i got it....
thanks a lot....everyone.... i really appreciate your help.....