MPH or MPA before PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zarwood

Reaction score
I have a question. I am a Pre-PA student right now and the first of November I graduate with my BS in Health Science and I am wanting to go to PA school. If I get accepted into PA school I wont start until August 2022. In the mean time I was either wanting to complete the MPH-global health degree or MPA in Disaster Management until I get into PA school. I want to use this masters to get help in PA school and I want to either work for FEMA as a Disaster Medical Team leader or help the homeless population by getting them the healthcare they need. Honestly it will take a couple years for me to get comfortable seeing patients before I go for one of these options.I have around 4,500 hours of patient care and 1000 volunteer hours. I though about not doing a masters and taking the time off just to take a break before PA school. I am in decided on what option to take, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The MPH is a more recognized degree and there are MPH programs out there with an emergency management focus. There are also combo PA/MPH programs at places like George Washington University in DC.

The MPH is a more recognized degree and there are MPH programs out there with an emergency management focus. There are also combo PA/MPH programs at places like George Washington University in DC.
Thank you so much for your input. Which concentration would be better for PA, Global Health, Health Promotion or Nutrition ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your input. Which concentration would be better for PA, Global Health, Health Promotion or Nutrition ?
That all depends on your interests and anticipated future employment and/or volunteering.

Thank you, is there anyway I could get your email address ? I have some other questions i would love to get your opinion on. Thanks