MPH or SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
I am in my 3rd year in College in the USA, I am an international student and a Biochemistry major. I have okay-ish GPA (3.7-3.8). I have not taken the MCAT yet. Due to scheduling challenges only time I can take the MCAT will be September or August. I don't want rush my preparation,since I have heard its pretty tough and even tougher for international students to get. so I have decided to take a gap year, and I am not sure what to do in that year. It would be nice to earn some money while engaging in academic courses (since this will help with taking MCAT) . If I was to do research I would defiantly want to publish. Any suggestions/help/information.
please

Please and Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't stated any good reasons for doing an MPH. If your goal is to earn/save money, pursuing an MPH or SMP is the opposite of that. Are you involved in research already? If not, try to get some research exposure in your last year so that it's easier to get a paid research position upon graduation if that's what you end up wanting to do. You still have a year to figure it out. A publication should not be your end goal at this point.

Doing an SMP is counter productive in your situation. You don't need it. Spend the time working in research and actually making money.