Other MPH,PHD in public health. Will I match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nooneknowsme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend. I an IMG, YOG would be 7 years this year. I have done MPH and PhD also on public health. Now trying to start USMLE. Lets say , I can finish everything by 2018, that will take me to 10 th YOG if I get matched. Please tell me hard ans clear, what are my chances? Should I start studying USMLE?

I have herad some programs valur MPH and PhD. true? Please tell me exactly how it is.

Members don't see this ad.

You are extremely far away from medical school graduation. So much in medicine has changed in the last 10 years. You need to do some clinical rotations if you can to get some exposure.

People value PhDs and MPH but the extreme length of time from when you were last in a clinical environment will make you a very, very hard sell. This on top of being an IMG... I'm not sure it's possible. Maybe you can convince someone close to where you did you PhD to take you, but it would a huge risk for them - when was the last time you did a physical exam, interpreted lab results, heck even interviewed a patient.

Your best (and only) option may be to go to another country (your home country?) to try to do residency there and then head back to the states afterwards if you REALLY want to be here. Ask yourself if this is really worth it.

As a MPH/PhD you can easily get a job as a post-doc or perhaps higher in a basic science lab attached to a medical school/academic center. That's an alternative route.

I was in your same situation but I decided to go through and apply this year.. fingers crossed!
They will not look at your MPH/PhD unless you pass the "filters"..YOG, USMLE scores and experience if required by the program.
However, there are some programs that do not have such criteria and might accept you.. you'll never know unless you try..
My advice will be, score high in the steps, finish step 3 as well before applying and best of luck to you :)